discuss: ldptool complete: was [1. automation of source to output publication]

Subject: ldptool complete: was [1. automation of source to output publication]
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2016 19:25:35 +0000

Greetings TLDP,

I am happy to report success.  I am releasing a tested [0], working
utility called 'ldptool' furnished as part of python-tldp-0.5.5,
which can process all of TLDP's source documents [1] [2] and
generate chunked and single-page HTML, PDF and textual outputs for
each.

Source document formats supported are:

  * Linuxdoc          #  226 documents in collection
  * AsciiDoc          #    0 documents in collection
  * DocBook XML 4.x   #  129 documents in collection
  * DocBook 5.x       #    1 document  in collection
  * DocBook SGML 4.x  #   66 documents in collection
  * DocBook SGML 3.x  #   80 supported, but no longer accepted

The ldptool does not yet produce an ePub output format.  I will
write separately about that.

If anybody is interested in code review, ad-hoc testing or pointing
out my documentation gaps (sorry, no manpage yet, though there is a
README.rst and basic --help).

In short, I am ready to roll this out,

-Martin

 [0] The code coverage module reports 93% coverage when running both
     the integration tests and the unit tests.  In addition, I have
     repeatedly processed all of our documents into the supported
     outputs, a process which takes only 45-50m.

 [1] The HOWTO-INDEX, which was a generated document, does not
     validate.  This is part of the metadata problem.  I plan to
     spend some time with Greg Ferguson's code and see what can be
     done here.  The HOWTO-INDEX is pretty useful, so it would be
     good to be able to generate it again, even if the tools are
     different.

 [2] The PHP-Nuke-HOWTO uses an array of parameter entities to
     control the image choice at output production time.  On
     OpenSUSE, I can build the document fine.  On Debian, it still
     has fits.  This is a bug, and I will attend to this, but of
     the 503 documents, this is the only unsolved processing item.

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/