discuss: Q: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ was [New Guide: Package Management Basics]

Previous in thread: 3 Feb 2016 18:24:14 +0000 Re: Q: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ was [New Guide: Package Management Basics], David Lawyer

Subject: Re: Q: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ was [New Guide: Package Management Basics]
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Feb 2016 18:24:14 +0000

[snipped J.S. Evans from Cc line]

Hello again David (et alia),

>I took a quick look at by-nc-sa/4.0/ and it looks OK.

Great.  Thanks!  [Mark:  Can you add that to the list of accepted?]

>The license criteria for LDP was specified in the manifesto.  But
>we now have two manifestos: one at www.tldp.org/manifesto.html and
>another (presumably for the wiki but it doesn't say that) at
>wiki.tldp.org/LDP_Manifesto.  This new manifesto has deleted much
>of the text from the old one (and rightly so in most cases). But
>There is a link to license criteria that shows some acceptable
>licenses but not the above by-nc-sa.

I noticed that not only do we have several manifestos:

  http://tldp.org/manifesto.html
  http://tldp.org/manifesto_24Jul2003.html
  http://tldp.org/manifesto_18Oct1999.html
  http://wiki.tldp.org/LDP%20Manifesto

But, we also have at least two pages declaring copyright:

  http://tldp.org/copyright.html
  http://tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html

Also, I think there are several places where accepted licenses are
listed.  It'd be good to get that into a single place, so that there
are not discrepancies.

>But the LDP criteria says that if you want to use another license
>that "we can examine your arguements".  This likely means that the
>discuss list can examine this case and decide.
>
>However the old Manifesto, which hasn't been removed would permit
>use of this license since it allows free distribution of the
>document.  So if no one objects, we accept this license.  When
>there are two manifestos, the later one would be expected to rule.

OK.  So latest one rules the roost.  Good to know.  I propose that
once we iron all of this out, that we expunge (from reachability)
any old manifesto, license and/or copyright text.

>I'm now volunteering to make another attempt at revision of the
>Manifesto, including licensing requirements.  My last try was
>several years ago ran into strong disagreements so almost nothing
>was acomplished.  I tried to revise it in steps so that there would
>be enough time to debate each aspect of it.  I would like to see
>the licensing criteria restored to the manifesto itself rather than
>be included by reference.

I'm on board, so long as we do not substantively change the
following:

  The goal of the Linux Documentation Project (LDP) is to create and
  distribute a canonical set of high quality free GNU/Linux
  documentation.

Once we figure out what exactly we want (or need) to change in the
manifesto, license and copyright, then I will volunteer to try to
expunge all of the out-of-date stuff.

N.B.  Also, this will probably imply a need to perform a consistency
review over all of the various LDP-specific docs (LDP-Author-Guide,
LDP-Reviewer-Guide, LDP-Admin-Guide, LDP Wiki and tldp.org website).

>I'll post some proposals on Manifesto revision, first on the easy
>part of non-license content.  I think it should start with review
>of both the new and the old (2008) versions of the Manifesto.  Of
>course, before making any important decisions, we should wait for
>Serge to return from his vacation and get his input.

I would say, go for it.  We can get started and Serge can review at
his leisure when he returns.

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown