discuss: volunteering for some TLDP work

Subject: Re: volunteering for some TLDP work
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2016 01:26:16 +0000

Hello Paul,

>> Long time lurker and follower of this project since almost its
>> inception. I would like to stand by Martin and volenteer my time,
>> as well. I can offer a few hours a week. Please let me know what
>> i can do or what jobs need to get done.
>
>Hi Paul,
>assuming that Martin will be able to re-create the docbook processing
>chain, there are four major needs for the project:

I think I will be able to re-create a largely automated DocBook
processing system, given how mature the toolchain is under modern
systems.  See prior messages.

I'll add to Serge's reply:

>A) update of the LDP Guide, focused on explanation of git submissions

  Yes, please.  It says stuff about CVS at this point.
  http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/cvs.html

  Would be nice to have that point to our git repo.
  There have been questions from people who do not wish to have
  accounts on the github.com corporate service.  All fine, we can
  take patches in email or, presumably via another git repo of a
  committer.  You could refer anybod not wanting to have a
  github.com account to the ####@####.#### list, I'd think.

>B) adding other documentation formats to the processing chain (via pandoc)

  This has been requested many times.  I'm personally unfamiliar
  with pandoc, and would be interested in hearing the thoughts of
  others on supporting additional formats.

  If we can support DocBook XML 5.0, that seems like a good thing.

  AsciiDoc has come up several times.

>C) update again of the LDP Guide with information of other accepted formats
>
>D) reviewing and accepting pull requests coming to LDP via github.

I think this is where the LDP policy step comes in.  We have,
historically, had a policy of content review followed by technical
review.  If you would like to try a stab at that, I know that J.S.
Evans just submitted a Package-Management-Basics.xml file that could
probably use both content and technical review.

I am less familiar with this part of the LDP process, as it was
largely handled in prior years by (at different times) David
Merrill, Tabatha (Persad) Marshall, Emma Jane Hogbin, Machtelt
(Tille) Garrels and probably others whom I'm forgetting.

Maybe this is of use (dated 2004):

  http://ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/css/LDP-Reviewer-HOWTO/index.html

Best,

-Martin

P.S. Sorry for the crappily-crafted first reply.  My fingers got
  ahead of my brain.

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/