discuss: History of LDP

Subject: Re: History of LDP
From: Serge Victor ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jan 2016 07:35:24 +0000

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:51 PM, David Lawyer ####@####.#### wrote:

> My view is that we made a big mistake by going with DocBook.  Part of this
> was my fault for being partially ignorant of the situation along with our
> leader, Guylhen, also not understanding it and thinking that one could
> simplify DocBook by using only a subset of it.  I was somewhat of a coward
> for not being more strongly opposed to DocBook.

I think it was a good decision those days, but we missed an
opportunity to add more languages when it was technically possible.
And the biggest opportunity was to join github-like service earlier to
replace humans on admin side with robots.

It's very likely, that with support with one of discuss members who
wants to stay anonymous by now, we will be able to fully automatize
submission process and add all documentation formats available via
pandoc, and there is a huge amount of them: markdown,
reStructuredText, textile, HTML, DocBook, LaTeX, MediaWiki markup,
TWiki markup, OPML, Emacs Org-Mode, Txt2Tags, Microsoft Word docx,
LibreOffice ODT, EPUB, or Haddock markup.

It's better late than never, and I do not think LDP should cease to
exist, just modify submission process and start thinking about
developing methods allowing readers to review documents.

> Do we have good archives of the "discuss" list that one can search with a
> search engine?  I kinda doubt it.  I don't think that Google has the
> archive in it's index either since I've done some test searches and come
> up with nothing.  But I've saved most of my outgoing emails so I have some
> info to use.

It's absolutely not a problem, this is full archive from today [~7MB]:

http://lists.tldp.org/discuss-archieve.tbz

S.