discuss: Some ideas for TLDP

Subject: Re: Some ideas for TLDP
From: "J. S. Evans" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jan 2016 18:19:47 +0000

On Saturday, January 09, 2016 06:59:50 PM jdd wrote:
> Le 09/01/2016 13:18, J. S. Evans a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Where is TLDP today?  Looking at the site, I see some really good
> > information and a lot of info that is plainly outdated.
>
> as far as I now, LDP is mostly dead. Nowadays most people writes docs on
> they own blog...
>
> > - Move away from DocBook 4 to something a little more modern and
> > preferably
> > user friendly like LyX.
>
> LyX, modern :-)) - it's the first text processor I used ten years ago
>
> :-) (not to say it's bad) and AFAIR it can export to docbook.

Yes, but it's the wrong version of DocBook.  The scripts would still need to
be updated. I looked into this a few months ago, but life got pretty hectic so
I haven't been able to revisit the issue since then.  I found that you could
also export DocBook XML from Eclipse with a plugin.  Heck, I'd love to write a
guide for that but it's the wrong version.  Someone would still have to update
the scripts to handle DocBook 4.2 or 5.0.

> And we have the wiki for people wanting to use easy to write interface
>
> > in years.  Some going back to 2008 and before. TLDP is an amazing idea,
> > why
> > aren't we utilizing it for it's maximum value?
>
> because too few people care...

Community based tutorials are still going strong.  Take a look at the guides
sponsored by Digital Ocean and WikiBooks if you don't believe me. Maybe I'm
wrong, but the problem with TLDP is that it lost all of it's inertia a few
years ago and nobody is doing the cheerleading required to get people excited
about the project. When I first started looking at volunteering, an
acquaintance of mine at ibiblio said that TLDP.org still get a fair amount of
traffic every day so people ARE using it, but there isn't much new work going
into it.