discuss: Linux 2.0 to Now

Subject: Re: Linux2.0toNow
From: Roger ####@####.####
Date: 27 Mar 2014 05:45:28 +0000

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 04:40:50PM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 08:50:29PM -0600, Paul Hendricksen wrote:
>> LDP,
>>
>> What I see now at the University Level is a gap. Students do not know what Linux actually is, as because of that, I feel they lack a fundamental appreciation for the need for Linux. "Why not AIX, or BSD, or ..." Is what I hear. A need for documentation for what lead to Open Cloud Computing is needed. How did we go from awesome uptime to multi-node cloud computers? Why isn't AIX and the other proprietary vendors a success?
>>
>> End rant. What do you think?
>:
>Well, I checked up on courses in operating systems and they seem to cover a lot about Linux.  But a major problem is that there isn't much study of the C-code itself since there is just too much code to study.  However, some colleges do have courses in Linux and some have special ones that are high priced.  And they tend to not study the C-code either but forcus on shell scripting, etc.  All this is unfortunate, because the advantage of using Linux for the study of operating systems is that the source code is freely available for study.
>			David Lawyer

Assembly/C for driver or hardware engineering.

C/C++ for middleware or applications.

Bourne/Bash (and maybe even Python/Perl) for System Administration.  Could even
mix in some C/C++/Assembly here as well.

Perl/Python for cross-platform utilities.

I doubt even if Linux kernel and open source tools were written entirely in
JAVA, people would still tend not to study the code.  But that's also only if
their interests do not involve hardware engineering or operating system
designs, etc!

God didn't say we all had to play in the same mud puddle for our entire life,
did he?

Atypically, Linux administration will mostly involve Bourne Shell or Bash
scripting.  And nowadays, such as within the Gentoo distribution, a lot of
scripting is being performed within Python.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/