discuss: Linux 2.0 to Now

Subject: Linux 2.0 to Now
From: Paul Hendricksen ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2014 02:50:50 +0000

LDP,

I started out in the Linux community in 1998 and have followed LDP as things progressed. I survived the Linux upgrades and have seen, as you have seen, the development that Linux has created.

To provide a starting point for students at the EDU level, perhaps a "autobiography" of the Linux Kernel and it's contributing vendors should be outlined, documented, and published for the masses.

I exited the US Army in 2012, my right years in the Infantry (as a grunt, trigger puller, cannon fodder) didn't go to waste. I kept up on the effort of the Open Source Community and made sure when I got out, I would be at semi-par.

What I see now at the University Level is a gap. Students do not know what Linux actually is, as because of that, I feel they lack a fundamental appreciation for the need for Linux. "Why not AIX, or BSD, or ..." Is what I hear. A need for documentation for what lead to Open Cloud Computing is needed. How did we go from awesome uptime to multi-node cloud computers? Why isn't AIX and the other proprietary vendors a success?

End rant. What do you think?

Respectfully,

Paul Hendricksen

Excuse all typos and spelling errors, this is sent from my mobile.