discuss: Wiki Conversion Process

Subject: Re: Wiki Conversion Process
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jan 2013 20:48:14 +0000

Quoting Roger ####@####.####

> Although I'm no lawyer, I don't see a need to even contact an author,
> aside from maybe pushing a public notice to the website and maybe
> mailing list.

Concur.  Author's existing permission to host the document at one
location in LDP's Web hosting more than suffices to host the same
document in a slightly different format in a different location in LDP's
Web hosting.  (The legal concept is 'implied licence'.)

That strikes me as holding true regardless of the author's choice of
explicit licence and also for where there is no explicit licence.

Your much earlier bit about how you'd never seen a legal battle over
documentation briefly alarmed me just a bit, Roger.  While I'm sure
that's factually true, it's extremely good policy to avoid willfully
violating copyright for a lot of individually compelling reasons.

--
Cheers,      Nothing's hotter than having a copyeditor correct your sex scenes.
Rick Moen                                                       -- Max Barry