discuss: New Contributer

Subject: Re: New Contributer
From: Roger ####@####.####
Date: 10 May 2012 18:30:45 +0100

> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 08:33:55AM +0200, jdd wrote:
>Le 10/05/2012 03:04, Roger a écrit :
>>

>> But doing so will include the upper right search box and upper right menus.
>> Also including the top menu links for recent changes, findpage, helpcontents,
>
>obviously you didn't try it
>
>jdd

Almost every time when printing using a browser's "Print to file" option, I
have always seen the embedded search boxes or website markups included,
including the actual article only printing to a smaller portion of the page due
to the additional web markups.  As such, it is reasonable users simply take for
granted the lacking of the "print to file" option of their browser, and will
usually rely on the embedded page link to "show printer version" of a page they
intend to send to a printer.  Hence, users will refrain from using the
browser's print to file, unless they actually see the markups have been
removed.  (ie.  Using the embedded, "Printer Version" link.) To check every
file, is a waste of time as most sites either do not incorporate such a
feature, or it's a new feature for the Seamonkey/Mozilla/Firefox browsers.

However, since you sited I haven't tried it, I tried it and find the TLDP site
seems to amazingly print, excluding markups and embedded search boxes.
Unknowingly, somehow the browser's "print to file" is pulling the "print style
sheet" as you stated.

It might be wise to post a notice somehow, on each page, informing readers,
their browser's "print to file" option will pull a printer style CSS and omit
web markups and search boxes on their hard copy or file.

Other then this, I checked the Disk Encryption HOWTO and it seems fine except
for an ugly font issue.  The font doesn't seem to handle resizing to a larger
size very well.  I tested using both, epdfview and acroread.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/