discuss: Developing documented Linux stacks

Subject: Developing documented Linux stacks
From: Alexey Eromenko ####@####.####
Date: 11 Mar 2012 00:36:25 +0000

Hello,

The problem:
The Linux Operating System has very complex stacks with zillion of
terms and inter-connects in each stack.
New users and even intermediate users get lost very quickly in the
modern Linux system, due to massive use of specific terms, both
user-space and kernel-space.
Those components have lots of dependencies, and this salad of
vocabulary terms needs to be documented.
Currently it is nearly impossible to read Linux newspapers due to
loads of terms / vocabulary.

I would like to document them.

(I base my knowledge on the Debian GNU/Linux platform, but it applies
to other Linux distributions, and, to a lesser degree to other
UNIX-like OSes, such as Solaris and FreeBSD)

Is there any ongoing effort ?
My plan: Draw the diagrams (in KolourPaint, maybe later rewrite in
LibO), then copy some docs from WikiPedia and write some of my own.
Acceptable plan ?

WARNING: Due to my limited understanding of several GNU/Linux aspects,
the diagrams I draw may be wrong.

Stacks, that need to be documented:
-Web Applications (LAMP + some apps, like PHPbb3 forum, Drupal, BugZilla...)
-Graphics (X11/Mesa/DRI/GEM/TTM/Qt/...)
-Multimedia (Alsa/OSS/Xine/FFmpeg/GStreamer/Phonon/codecs/...)
-Virtualization (KVM/VirtualBox/Xen/libvirt/OpenStack)
-Authentication (libpam, /etc/shadow, LDAP, fingerprint reader
hardware, ...) <-- I'm _really_ weak on this point.
-Printing (CUPS, SMB, ...?) <-- I'm _really_ weak on this point.
-Network (ebtables, iptables/netfilter, TAP, Linux bridge, MAC
address, IP address, WiFi, ...)

Please see shared screenshots / diagrams, and give some critique /
comments. (via Google Web Albums)
https://picasaweb.google.com/104857992831201925592/LinuxStacksDocumentationDraft
*Is there a better way to share photos / screenshots / diagrams ?

Do we need comparison to Windows? (I have provided one diagram)

MIT/X11 license.
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"