discuss: No more spam!

Subject: Re: [discuss] No more spam!
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 28 Feb 2012 18:11:19 +0000

I've just been able to confirm that my recollection (below) is correct.
Please take note of the root cause, so as avoid barraging mailing lists
with more extremely bad guesses.

Further, here is a big fat clue in the headers of every post to this
mailing list, including those from the spammer who broke into subscriber
Rahul Sundaram's Yahoo webmail account:

Just to help those of you who are brand-new to the Internet and haven't
yet figured out mailing lists, _that_ is the address to which you should
address all administrivia, the place where you can reach the listadmins.
You should no more send administrivia (inquiries/complaints about
mailing list operation) _to_ the mailing list, bothering a large number
of subscribers who cannot possibly help you, than you should stand up
in the middle of a crowded movie theatre and start yelling 'Manager, I
hate this movie and want a refund'.

----- Rick Moen ####@####.#### -----

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 01:59:50 -0800
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
To: ####@####.####

Quoting Charles Curley ####@####.####

> As you will see, this is particularly insidious spam as it pretends to
> originate from someone who either is or has been a subscriber.

I believe you're referring, IIRC to spam _genuinely sent_ from Rahul
Sundaram's Yahoo account, whose login credentials on the Web have been
stolen by spammers who have subsequently been barraging everyone in
Rahul's addressee list, ncluding ####@####.####  It's a very
widespread problem among Yahoo webmail users.

turning on the 'moderated' flag for such hapless webmail users until
the subscriber in question regains control of his/her webmail account.

That is a great deal more constructive than posting pointlessly
complaining  mails to your fellow subscribers, especially ones that
commit fundamental errors like asserting that it "_pretends_ to
originate from the subscriber', i.e., failing to understand the problem,
which does not involve forgery.