discuss: Re: Unix Command Line HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: Unix Command Line HOWTO
From: Howard Gibson ####@####.####
Date: 10 Dec 2011 02:39:32 +0000

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 10:59:56 +0100
jdd ####@####.#### wrote:

> I'm reading this one, so may be my remarks do not anymore count on the
> last version.

   This is the latest version.  It should be version 0.4, dated 2011 December 04.

> the xterm of kde is "Konsole"

   Will it stay that way?  There used to be something called kterm.  I added this.

> "cd -" send you to the previous directory

   Thanks.

> "-h" in many commands give values in "human readable" form

   Is this a help function?  It does not do much with the basic commands listed here.  I have added notes about -? and --help.

> there is no "original vi". Simply any "vi" command is a link to some
> vi variation, often vim (as said in the document). Some versions are
> specially ugly :-)

   Didn't Bill Joy write this thing originally?  What did he call it?   I seem to recall that elvis uses the mouse such that the X11 copy and paste does not work.  Maybe mentioning vim and elvis is more detail than a new user needs.

   I cannot find my original notes on vi.  I started them after I somehow got out of my first session with it.  I entitled the notes "The Fucking Vi Editor".  I was very pissed off.  Now, I love it.

> finished reading.
>
> This one document is a short introduction on the terminal use of
> Unix/Linux, not a full Unix Command Line HOWTO.

   Would an advanced user make a point of bookmarking and reading this?  I never use this for reference. Most emails I have received on it have been from Mac users.  Obviously, I need to work out a balance between having enough information, and keeping the document short and easily searched.

   If I called this a Terminal HOWTO, would new users understand?  Another possibility is UNIX Command Shell HOWTO.  Still, the term shell means nothing to non-geeks.   The scary thing about UNIX and Linux is usually the "command line".

> Howard, if you have a more complete (or uptodate) version on line,
> please, give me a link.

   I will update this over the weekend.  It will have the same link.

> I would have been glad to read such a friendly document when I first
> began to use Linux.

   Thank you.

   This originally started off as sort of a report to management after I took a UNIX administration course.  It gave me a chance to tell users to RTFM when I was too busy to help them.

> So the only real problem I have is the licence. If a LDP compatible
> licence is choosen, I think we can accept this document (may be with
> "Unix Command Line HOWTO for beginners" name)

   Is there any thing you specifically want?  I am easy.

--
Howard Gibson