discuss: Decision Time: Modernization/Re-Design of Website

Subject: Re: [discuss] Decision Time: Modernization/Re-Design of Website
From: Borden Rhodes ####@####.####
Date: 29 Apr 2011 04:50:11 +0100

I've just gotten around to skimming through the lengthy discourse on
copyrights and formatting.  First of all, I thought wiki.tldp.org was
designed to avoid the whole DocBook formatting problems and leave
software to worry about that.  Why is there still a problem?

Secondly, thanks to David for his summary of the history of TLDP.  It
seems that, like most open source projects, documentation also has the
same life cycle:
1. Someone gets inspiration for a new project.
2. Person works on the project to the first release.
3. Release gets added to a repository.
4. Person abandons project to work on something new.
5. Project gets minor revisions but eventually settles comfortably in
obsolescence.

And it doesn't seem that a workforce of 4 active contributors at any
given time can take responsibility for all of the documentation.  It
seems apparent that anyone wanting to overhaul, modernise or redesign
TLDP is either going to need to do it on a budget of 5 people or
figure out how to recruit enough active contributors to make the
overhaul continue past its first beta.

Rick: You seem like a nice, polite guy to other people.  Yet, you
single me out and viscously insult and taunt me whenever I post.
Whatever I did to deserve it must have been pretty bad.  Oh well.  I'm
prepared to forgive if you're prepared to treat me like everyone else.

Borden