discuss: Modernization/Re-Design of Website

Subject: Re: [discuss] Modernization/Re-Design of Website
From: Mark Komarinski ####@####.####
Date: 26 Apr 2011 14:01:21 +0100

On 04/26/2011 08:15 AM, Randy Kramer wrote:
> There are too many posts in this thread,  so I picked one almost at
> random to point out this: ;-)
>
> In the Author Guide,
> (http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/docbook-why.html), it
> also says this:
>
> "From the point of submission onwards, however, you will have to
> maintain your document in this XML format, but that's a piece of cake.
> Promised."
>
> Maybe that worries some people, despite the promise.
Please remember the time this was written (uhm, over 10 years ago now).
I think the days of using markup languages for most people has passed,
even if it is easier to maintain a document than it is to write it in
the first place.  Few write HTML now, and I'm sure even fewer use
DocBook (alas, Thunderbird's spell checker doesn't even recognize
"DocBook" as a word).

Like it or not, wikis appear to be the way of the world.  At the same
time, the necessity to have output in a variety of formats has also
passed.  PDF and HTML seem to be the default winners of this battle -
PDF for physical output, HTML for electronic viewing.  I'll admit to not
being up on all the wiki servers that are available, but if one were
able to easily output to those two formats, that will probably be
sufficient.  Third-world countries would still get their offline
content, distros could still provide soft copy, hard copy could be
printed out if needed, and the pressure on content producers (authors)
is pretty much dropped.

I think at least one LDP author was helped by my guide, so I'm satisfied
and okay if it gets dropped. :)

-Mark