discuss: Decision Time: Modernization/Re-Design of Website

Subject: Re: [discuss] Decision Time: Modernization/Re-Design of Website
From: Paul Hendricksen ####@####.####
Date: 25 Apr 2011 07:43:18 +0100

> what do you *practically* mean?
I mean lets get something done... Fair enough, I can work on something.
I was hoping that there would be more than a few guys willing to pitch
in. I'm just a loud voice out of many that see that there needs to be
some reconfiguration/scrubbing to be done.

> I'm not sure building an other forum is a good idea, but changing wiki
> organisation is pretty easy: one don't need to destruct anything but
> build some new pages is the ne pages looks nice, it's easy to give
> them a link from the main page.
You wouldn't want a forum?  I would say there are many advantages to that.
All the misc. items that are not a HOWTO/mini-HOWTO care in need of a place to live.
People's collaborative efforts can be posted there.

> that said, we have two (main) problems:
>
> * if we have to keep a gateway from the wiki to docbook, we have to
> make better the action/render to docbook script, this script now do
> not do the whole translation and need manual tweeks
That would be better left to one of my more talented co-posters here in the discussion.

> * we have a mere may be 20 active authors and need to update at least
> 100 HOWTO
>
> as of the graphic aspect, the wiki needs only a css, see MoinMoin
> documentation, thye static site is that: static! AFAIR no css, so each
> page have to be changed manually, but there are not that many, so if
> you want a change copy a page somewhere, give it the aspect you like
> and whow us the result
As for the visual, i am willing to put in my two cents, I have some
experience with that.  But is there anyone who is a web designer in our
discussion or someone who knows of a guy who'd be willing to do
something pro-bono?

-Paul