discuss: Modernization/Re-Design of Website

Subject: Re: [discuss] Modernization/Re-Design of Website
From: Binh Nguyen ####@####.####
Date: 24 Apr 2011 13:03:50 +0100

> Most GNU/Linux distros nowadys are so easy to use - right from the
> installiation stage.

This is part of the reason why I'm wondering whether we should also be
thinking about re-inventing TLDP. My vision would be focus on basically
dividing the project into four core components.

1) First part would hold the current content of the website
2) Second part would a directory/search engine that aggregates good Linux
Documentation information in a similar way that early directory based search
engines would work
3) Third part would be content that has been approved by LDP members
(minimum three to read and review to check for quality)
4) Fourth part would be unreviewed/unpublished content that is currently in
progress and would be accessible to people who signed up to account. There
would be some form of discretionary security to allow for collaborative work

2) is easy enough and we could just collect details of relevant websites
based on prior experience and then possible use an existing search engine in
order to allow us to develop something quickly/easily. It could even end up
something like a news aggregator in much the same way that
linuxtoday.comworks when it comes to news regarding documentation (it
could even
cover/review commercial books regarding Linux as well?)
3) and 4) would likely be handled via wiki.tldp.org and/or some form of
blogging software

I would re-design the current website in order to reflect this with a good
chunk of the stuff on the left hand side going towards the bottom and links
to core material going on the right hand side (it could stay on the left
though). The middle content would stay as is with a new logo going on top.

I'm not really sure that the current colour scheme is the way to go either?
My preference is for something lighter/brighter. Something similar to the
colouring (but not the styling) favoured here:

http://www.csszengarden.com/

As it stands wiki.tldp.org is probably more appealing than the primary
website?