discuss: Modernization/Re-Design of Website

Subject: Re: [discuss] Modernization/Re-Design of Website
From: "paul.hendricksen" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Apr 2011 02:18:00 +0100

We are all that is left of the “old-school” way of thought.  Back in
1999-2000 it was very easy to go to TLDP and look up anything that we needed
to use, maintain, and develop our, then current, distributions.  But with
the rise of the “more out of the box,” concepts like Gentoo, Ubuntu, and Red
Hat the LDP is falling behind and is, quite frankly, very out dated.

New users are using desktop based Linux distros, like Ubuntu, for the ease
of use and in some cases might even have the same Linux distro installed as
a server on a remote computer.  Because all the documentation that they need
for configuration is on the software’s web site, they don’t even look twice
at the LDP.

If we want it to stay alive, if we want it to be useful and more appealing
to the newer generations of Linux users, we need to update it from the
ground up.  That means scrubbing each document, in a round robin, updating
it and keeping a changelog.  Wiki is a group-oriented piece of software that
keeps track of changes, the authors, and is very easy to use.

The first step is to get out of this “old-school” mentality.  Linux needs to
get to the level that the Mac OS has gotten to for the desktop market.  We
need to get our server-based Linux distributions to the _ease of use_ that
is seen in the Microsoft world, not saying we need it to emulate it in every
way.  People want to see functionality at the easiest cost in time.

Steps:

1)      Create a bottom-up atmosphere advocating the education of Linux, the
history, and preservation of it’s use.  Developing up-to-date HOWTOs,
promoting both collaboration and community.

2)      Scrub the HOWTOs, generalize them, and create sub-groups of more
distro-oriented mini-HOWTOs

3)      Develop a clean, functional, and easy to navigate Wiki site that
requires Authors to register to add/update/edit.  Polls to ask what is
needed, what should be written, and what should be added.

All of you have great points, with the exception of bullying, I think this
discussion went very well.  We all see a need for change, hence the reason
we all spent the majority of the day talking this over.  Lets make it happen
and do something about it rather than just talk.  I’ll put in the time to
help.

-Paul