discuss: Modernization/Re-Design of Website

Subject: Re: [discuss] Modernization/Re-Design of Website
From: Borden Rhodes ####@####.####
Date: 23 Apr 2011 19:24:26 +0100

> I'm not sure I understand your question, especially since nothing I
> just said in any way implied becoming a portal to other documentation
> over the Internet, which is TOTALLY contrary to what I said.
>
> Was my wording about LDP hosting copies of said documents somehow
> unclear?  Perhaps you should re-read what I said.

Very unclear.  You said you wanted to host mirrors of other people's
documentation.  I see one of two ways to do that: either link directly
to their documentation (portal) or you assign someone to check back
with the LDP every time there's an update.  Either way, since you're
such a stickler for technical accuracy, I quote The Free Dictionary:
Portal. n. A website considered as an entry point to other websites,
often by being or providing access to a search engine.  How does your
'mirroring' approach not fit this definition?

>> How does 'donation' imply taking something away?
>
> I'm sorry, but are you just not a native speaker of the English
> language?  I believe the problem with that word's connotations are
> self-evident, and therefore decline to debate someone who's either
> having difficulty understanding plain English or is _being_ difficult.
> Either way, I need to move on to more productive tasks.

If you're trying to turn people away from open source communities,
keep up the excellent work.  There's no place for this kind of
rudeness.  Not everybody thinks the way you do (thank God) or has the
authoritative understanding of the universe as you pretend to.  Kindly
go do something 'more productive' and leave the rest of us to work
co-operatively.

>> I don't like the turn-TLDP-into-Wikipedia idea.
>
> Get a clue, man:  Neither do I.  Stop arguing with people who agree with
> you, for Pete's sake.  Sheesh.

I was referring to other posts which advocated for turning the LDP
into Wikipedia.  I hate to be the first to tell you that, despite the
gravitational pull of your ego, you have not succeeded at becoming the
centre of the universe.  But at least we can agree on something

Borden