discuss: Modernization/Re-Design of Website

Subject: Re: [discuss] Modernization/Re-Design of Website
From: Borden Rhodes ####@####.####
Date: 23 Apr 2011 18:56:32 +0100

> The better way to propose what's necessary is to ask 'Will you allow LDP
> to host a mirror of your admirable and useful Linux HOWTO under a
> suitable open-source licence, and if so would you mind also taking
> modest measures to keep LDP updated when you revise it?'

Doesn't this kinda defeat the purpose of the LDP as a documentation
source if all you're doing is using it as a portal to other
documentation over the Internet?  How does 'donation' imply taking
something away?  I would have thought that we'd be offering authors
free updates and contributions and give them a broader audience once
the LDP regains its relevancy and people start turning back here for
their documentation needs?  And I never said anything about taking the
documentation away from them and saying that they can't keep their
originals on their own blogs.

I don't like the turn-TLDP-into-Wikipedia idea.  I just don't.  Wikis
are online and I want something that Debian can package and offer to
me offline.