discuss: Re:

Subject: Re:
From: Charles Curley ####@####.####
Date: 8 Feb 2011 04:46:34 +0000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 21:13:25 -0500
Borden Rhodes ####@####.#### wrote:

> Other than licensing issues, why can't we integrate the best from the
> other HOWTOs into ours?  I have Jean-Daniel's back on this; the LDP is
> not a link directory and should contain its own documents.  I haven't
> worked through the ABS myself but I'll be the first to suggest changes
> on the wiki when I do!

Respect for other peoples' intellectual property? (Depending on what
you mean by "integrate".)

I have no problem with an author using material from another document
(assuming permission), but the author should make sure it works
correctly, is true, etc. and that the author understands it. Then
credit the material to the original writer. That applies to direct
quotes, paraphrases, and maybe even complete rewrites. I prefer to err
in the direction of acknowledgement and attribution.

The less material I borrow from another author, the less I have to
maintain (until that document is obsolete, sigh).

I recommend authors include a reference section which can point to
further reading material.