discuss: Re: Bash scripting guide

Subject: Re: [discuss] Fwd: Bash scripting guide
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 7 Feb 2011 15:57:36 +0000

I think it would be interesting / useful for someone who has less
limited knowledge of bash scripting to comment on the contention that
the "Advanced Bash Scripting Guide" teaches bad practices.

If that is true, something should be done.  The least might be to add a
note in the "Advanced Bash Scripting Guide" and mention those sites
that teach better practices.

I am not knowledgable enough myself to think about making that judgement
(unless it is egregiously bad).  (I surprised myself some years ago
when I could recognize that one or more of the C or C++ programming
guides was egregiously bad.)

Randy Kramer

PS: The contention isn't that it is out-of-date, but that it teaches bad
practices (which might (or might not) be a result of it being
out-of-date).