discuss: Inappropriate contents

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: Inappropriate contents
From: Charles Curley ####@####.####
Date: 16 Nov 2009 20:53:03 +0000

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:13:31 +0100
jdd-gmane ####@####.#### wrote:

> Le 16/11/2009 20:57, Charles Curley a écrit :
>

> I don't know what we can do if a porn site mirror the LDP without
> asking, may be nothing.
>
> but the problem is because the mirrors ask to be listed on our page.
> This we can refuse at our single opinion.

Yes, we can refuse a link to a mirror. But in doing so we may be doing
our readers a disservice. I would rather leave it to the user to decide
if using a given mirror offends their sensibilities.

Many web pages have notices that their management are not responsible
for the content of external web sites. I suppose we could add one, but
I think the reaction of most of our readers will be along the lines of,
"Well, doh!"

> I often asked me why we have so many mirrors when we have a so poor
> content. may be because we have many mirrors and doing so cross the
> links.

Anyone with wget or curl can easily mirror a site, especially a site
with no dynamic content. We have no control over that.

> I prefere to think university on some countrie help students to reach
> doc.

Many universities and companies mirror FOSS and related docs.

> I would like to see more people contributing :-(

That's the big issue, isn't it?