discuss: Downloading packages and burning CDs for offline upgrade of systems (was: Re: [discuss] open office as source)

Subject: Downloading packages and burning CDs for offline upgrade of systems (was: Re: [discuss] open office as source)
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jun 2009 14:05:59 +0100

jdd,

Thanks!  I took a look at it, and it seems to be one of the things I
expected--instructions on how to download distribution specific
application packages and burn them to a disk, to take around to other
(presumably offline) installations of the same distribution and install
the packages there.

As such (and speaking as not a "member" of TLDP), I see no reason it
should not be included in the documentation on the TLDP website.

(In other words, I think it should be included--presumably starting on
the wiki so others have a chance to comment or improve on it.)

BTW, I'm not sure how the email got the subject "Re: [discuss] open
office as source" as it seems rather misleading.  I'll try to change
the subject, you'll see it above

Randy Kramer

One minor comment interspersed below:

On Sunday 28 June 2009 01:58:26 pm jdd for http://tldp.org wrote:
> Randy Kramer a écrit :
> > On Sunday 28 June 2009 02:25:08 am jdd for http://tldp.org wrote:
> >> we received this on  submit:
> >>
> >> http://lists.tldp.org/go.to?list=submit&cmd=showthread&month=20090
> >>6&t hreadid=honghncbcogijcnnnoah
> >>
> >> * this seems to be ubuntu (or debian) specific. Do we need it (why
> >> not?) * it's an openoffice document. openoffice xml don't fit the
> >> ldp standards (recently tested), how do we have to manage this?
> >>
> >> If the answer to the first question is yes, I can ask the author
> >> if he can manage the wiki
> >
> > I looked at the link, and although there seems to be an attachment,
> > I could not look at it.
>
> the list removed it :-( but only in the archives, it's on submit
>
> I join it for you

Just a minor point: The American expression would be more likely to use
the word "attach" instead of "join"--like: "I have attached it for you"

--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.