discuss: link page

Subject: Re: [discuss] link page
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 11 Nov 2008 18:11:15 +0000

Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####

> I come back to this thread, because we have already a link page:
>
> http://tldp.org/links/
>
> (linked from the search box in front page)
>
> there is even a form to add links http://tldp.org/links/addlink.html
>
> I submitted one to see is all still works (Distrowatch)
>
> so if we have to keep the page it have to be cleaned (content, not
> aspect), if we don't want to keep the page we need to remove it :-)

Link farm pages are very 1994, but still somewhat useful even now,
within reason.  The hitch is, you need to go through them from time to
time, finding broken entries (404 links aka "bit rot") and fixing them
by finding new or replacement pages, removing entries that no longer
make any sense, and adding new ones.  Ideally, this should be done a few
times a year.  The bigger the page becomes, the more maintenance
requires.

I maintain one for SVLUG (started very long ago), and think I do a
pretty good job:  http://www.svlug.org/farm.php

You'll notice that I annotate when links are no longer maintained but
still believed useful, and occasionally switch to Internet Archive
links when a site vanishes.

You will probably find some broken and/or obsolete links.  I wouldn't be
the least surprised.

The http://tldp.org/links/ page's User Groups section (among others)
appears to be pretty badly broken.  I might recommend borrowning data
from the SVLUG page and from the LDP User Group HOWTO, which I also
maintain.

(By all means, borrow freely from either of those, if desired.)