discuss: who is responsible for the tldp.org domain name

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: who is responsible for the tldp.org domain name
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 7 Nov 2008 19:34:01 +0000

Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####

> > You still haven't shown that any such subdomain actually exists in any
> > meaningful way, by the way.
>
> br, it and es are not hosted by the tldp but by they respective ISP
> (enough to clic the front page  link and do a little search to see this)

I suspect you're confusing DNS with hosting.

> http://linux.alojate.net/ for es
> http://www.pluto.it/ for it
> Brasil Telecom S. A for br (this one is said to change)
>
> In fact the LDP have no apache server running (the wiki is direct
> access). We could host sub-domain, but we should then create other
> vservers (http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org)

But none of this has anything to do with (alleged) delegation of what
you're calling a "subdomain".  In fact, I would speculate that you're
not actually talking about subdomains at all, but rather just host
entries in the tldp.org zonefile, e.g., fully qualified hostname
"br.tldp.org".

You've been consistently speaking of "br.tldp.org" as a subdomain.  Do
you have any reason to think it is a subdomain?  I have so far seen
none cited.

I think you may be unclear on what problem you're trying to solve.

> I use a hosted server, not in my house, but my registrar services
> (gandi) are easier to manage than my Hosting service one

Well, that wasn't the comparison I was making.  I was marvelling that so
few Linux users (who have static IPs) bother to run their own
nameservers -- not talking about _which_ third-party nameserver they
choose to pay for, instead.

> with only one computer on the net, I don't see any interest of having
> my own dns.

Then, I would suggest you haven't considered the matter.  Running your
authoritative service on one's own machine gives you better security and
control over your nameservice, plus you're not having to pay someone
else to do it for you.  Running your own recursive DNS service locally
to your LAN gives you much better security _and_ much better network
performance.

> but may be we could host the tldp ones

If you mean, cease to use UNC's, why on _earth_ would you do that?

On the other hand, adding a couple of more secondaries to the roster
would be a good idea, technically.