discuss: wiki pages footer

Subject: Re: [discuss] wiki pages footer
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 1 Oct 2008 22:30:01 +0100

Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####

> I don't know for other countries, but in France associations don't
> need to be incorporated, but this makes any administrative act very
> difficult.

The advantages and disadvantages can be debated either way; the main
thing is that incorporation sets up a specifically defined (abstract)
entity distinct from the members themselves.  People who act on behalf
of the corporation are legally classed as its agents (i.e., interpreted
under the "law of agency"), and members cannot be pursued in court
individually for more than their ownership interest in the corporate
assets over allegedly wrongful deeds in which they had no _personal_
involvement.

(This makes less difference than most computerists assume:
If Alice, Bob, Charlie, and Daisy incorporate their club, and later
outsider Zachariah is angry about a deed performed by the club,
Zachariah's attorney will still give him the standard advice of "Sue
_everyone_" -- A., B., C., and D. _plus_ the corporate entity.  The only
difference is that some of the co-defendents may be able to get
dismissed from the case by showing lack of personal involvement in the
deed in question.)

> to go back to the web page problem, you mean that we can keep the present
> "© The Linux Documentation Project, 1992-2008. Site credits. " is good
> for the footer? wouldn't it be usefull though to add links to the
> default licence and the manifesto?

I was going to wait until later (work being currently in the way), when
I could give constructive suggestions on that.  ;->

I'm amused about that footer, now that you point out the present
contents, given that everyone's been going around claiming that
unincorporate associations (such as LDP) cannot own property:  The
footer asserts copyright ownership!

> NB: I just discovered the linux doc project and linux on 1997, joining
> the french "CULTe", my LUG, where I met Guylhem Aznar.

You see, there's a long history of francophones in LDP.  ;->