discuss: wiki pages footer

Subject: Re: [discuss] wiki pages footer
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 1 Oct 2008 17:42:34 +0100

Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####

> As is said in the old manifesto (was this copied to the new? it
> should), the LDP have no legal existence and so can't hold any copyright.

That assertion actually, strictly speaking, bullshit, by the way --
regardless of how frequently it's asserted and how widely it's believed.
Example:  New York Linux User Group (NYLUG) is an unincorporated
association.  It owns the Internet domain nylug.org.  See for yourself:

$ whois nylug.org

[...]
Domain ID:D4618054-LROR
Domain Name:NYLUG.ORG
Created On:16-Dec-1998 05:00:00 UTC
Last Updated On:14-Jun-2008 01:56:03 UTC
Expiration Date:16-Dec-2009 05:00:00 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR)
Status:CLIENT DELETE PROHIBITED
Status:CLIENT RENEW PROHIBITED
Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
Status:CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED
Registrant ID:GODA-040808445
Registrant Name:New York Linux Users Group
Registrant Organization:New York Linux Users Group
Registrant Street1:2124 Broadway, Suite 374
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:New York
Registrant State/Province:New York
Registrant Postal Code:10023
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.9999999999
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant ####@####.####

It can sue or be sued, or can own other property -- being in that regard
treated by the courts as a collection of individuals acting together.
That could become awkward, or be a prohibitive obstacle to, say, they
decided to operate a business or apply for USA Federal tax exemption as
a charity non-profit, but it's actually incorrect to claim that an
unincorporated association cannot own property.

(Please don't try to claim that this is impossible because the courts
cannot deterministically decide which individuals comprise the group.
The courts can and do make such decisions, without regard to whether you
think it's deterministically possible:  Courts are not hampered by
computerists' obsessive-compulsive desire for the universe to have clean
boundaries.)

> I think we should have in the footer a link to the manifesto and one
> the the default licence (wiki version)

OK, so far.  The merit of so doing really depends on how it's worded.

I'll try to get back to that, when I have time later today.