discuss: licence problems

Subject: Re: [discuss] licence problems
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 26 Sep 2008 17:57:23 +0100

Rick Moen a écrit :
> Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####
>
>> simple to ask them directly, they advertise giving advices for no charge
>
> I'm not sure what the question is.

the licence question is a permanent source of problems here (and in
other places also). Most documentation web sites allow only one licence.

> Maintainers of LDP documentation will end up specifying licences of
> their choosing,

many maintainer of documentation asks us what licence they have to
use. I think we must have a simple answer

> If you're asking Software Freedom Law Center "What licence should we
> use?", they'll almost certainly semiautomcatically say "You should insist
> on GNU FDL", but all that tells you is that they're an adjunct of the
> Free Software Foundation, and you already knew that.

you said:

"Let's look at that.  The Software Freedom Law Center -- one of the
few that I really respect"

>> * How can we, practically, know if a document proposed for LDP
>> inclusion is compatible with our goals?
>
> The simple way:  If it uses a known free licence from the obvious list
> of about five ones commonly used, then there's obviously no problem.

so, any of the 6 (not 5) licences listed here:
http://wiki.tldp.org/LdpWikiDefaultLicence/comments

allow us to work as expected?

what about licences written by the author? shoul we reject them (I
think of the boiler plate previous LDP licence
http://tldp.org/manifesto.html)

> Alternatively, LDP _could_ choose to reject all contributions that don't
> arrive bearing exactly the one particular licence LDP thinks it wants.  I
> personally think rejecting good documents under real free licences would
> be a moderately suicidal thing for LDP to do.   Obviously, some people
> here think otherwise -- as, probably, will SFLC.  Good luck with that.

We can ask the author to use a prefered licence. If the said licence
is good, most author should allow that.

but we shouldn't ask the author to use complicated system as dual
licencing if we can avoid it.

May be a licencing HOWTO would be a good idea :-), what are the
differences between the quoted free licences, why use one of them and
not the others :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net