discuss: Would like to maintain Linux Networking Howto

Subject: Re: [discuss] Would like to maintain Linux Networking Howto
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 24 Sep 2008 20:18:07 +0100

Quoting O.R.Senthil Kumaran ####@####.####

> Here is an update on the Linux Networking Howto.
> I contacted both the authors: Alexandro Rubini and Terry Dawson and requested
> for transfer of maintainership and change of license to GFDL. Both of them are
> okay with that.

This is excellent news.  As a reminder to mailing list readers, the
authors of record specified GPLv2 or above permissions for versions up
through their most recent release (1.5, Aug. 1999), but have not kept
the work up to date.

> Both Rubini and Terry, expressed some displeasure with GFDL (espcially
> with its clause of invariant sections), but are fine with relicensing
> the docs, "should we need it".

Please note, I think we'll find this a relatively common opinion among
those savvy about licensing.

> Two questions:
> 1) Do we need to relicense them? If yes, we have the permission.

May I make a modest suggestion?  For your revision, dual-license.  That
is, say that the document is available under the recipient's choice of
either GPLv2 or above, or GFDL v. 1.2 with no invariant sections or
cover text.  That has no practical disadvantages, and makes everyone
including Rubini and Dawson happy.

> 2) Can I start updating the document at wiki.tldp.org and make modifications
> at the wiki itself directly?

I'd say yes.

Here's an example of dual-licensing in an LDP doc:
http://tldp.org/FAQ/WordPerfect-Linux-FAQ/feedback.html