discuss: Manifesto for 2010 (draft01) page

Subject: Re: [discuss] Manifesto for 2010 (draft01) page
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 10 Sep 2008 20:20:44 +0100

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 10:33:26PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> David Greaves a ?crit :
>
>> So, what do you think of including the phrase:
>>  "spread no misinformation"

Since Linux is changing the result is HOWTOs that contain misinformation.
There's no way to avoid some misinformation.  Also, LDP often lacked
reviewers and original authors make mistakes.  In fact, one author in
the past intentionally wrote misinformation in some HOWTOs, and this
is even more likely with wikis.  The problem right now is to find
volunteers to go over our collection and determine the status of each
HOWTO or Guide.  Even more important is to find volunteers to revise
them and write new ones.

In the manifesto we could state that LDP should supply high quality
documentation as a goal.  But it should be obvious that LDP wants to
supply high quality and hardly needs stating.  We could state in the
manifesto that more volunteers are needed to help update.  But doing
this admits that we are in trouble and it looks bad but I'm still in
favor of that.  I proposed something like this before but got some
objected that it made the manifesto look too negative so I removed
it.

It was mentioned that discussions of docbook and wikis, etc. were not our
main problem which is stale documentation.  Well, I think a major
reason we didn't get more contributions and documentation became more
stale was the barrier to writing imposed by docbook and by our long
Author Guide.  If we could fix these we will likely get more volunteers
to help writing (and rewrting).
			David Lawyer

>> into the LDP manifesto (or whatever)?
>
> I'm a bit uncomfortable with this formulation. we have to write some
> sort of *positive* paragraph about our work ("make accurate doc", for
> example, is much better, but it's not enough)
>
> have to think some time (and reread the old manifesto) :-)
It's not that LDP wants to spread misinformation.