discuss: Software-RAID-HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Software-RAID-HOWTO
From: ####@####.####
Date: 14 May 2008 17:37:55 +0100

'Afternoon, all,

Short-time reader, first time poster.

One of the things that I like about the LDP is that it keeps documents
in easily downloadable and translatable formats - great for
downloading onto Palms so I can get a little extra reading done whilst
I'm stuck on the subway.  Wikis, to my understanding, don't have this
facility.

Secondly, many sites refer users looking for introductions and
hand-holding to the LDP as the primary documentation source -
particularly if the man pages are over your head.  What makes the LDP
attractive to me is that I can learn new concepts in nicely digestable
chunks without having to crosslink and return from other reference
pages.  I know that I can start at page 1 in a document on the LDP and
progress with a consistent narrative to the last page.

For these reasons, I think that outsourcing the RAID howto to an
external wiki will weaken the LDP's usefulness both a primary and
versatile reference.

I understand, though that the LDP cannot keep up with new releases
because of its writing process, which I think is the fundamental
reason for linking the LDP's RAID guide to the wiki.

Therefore, perhaps an appropriate compromise would be to base an
updated RAID-Howto on the wiki's documentation - consider it a
'stable' snapshot of the wiki.  The wiki would serve as a 'testing'
release of the same documentation.  Yes, I'm a Debian user.

That way, the documentation remains current, fairly non-redundant, and
doesn't compromise LDP's integrity.

Or maybe I'm missing the point entirely?

With regards,

Borden Rhodes