discuss: new howto: User Space - Kernel Space communication"

Subject: Re: [discuss] new howto: User Space - Kernel Space communication"
From: "Robert P. J. Day" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Feb 2008 12:57:30 -0500

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Ariane Keller wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'd like to write a HOWTO for "User Space - Kernel Space communication".
> Currently it is hard for a developer to get an overview about the available
> mechanism for user space - kernel space communication. Therefore the goal of
> this HOWTO is to give an introduction to each of these communication
> mechanisms.
>
> I will cover the following topics:
> - procfs
> - sysfs
> - configfs
> - debugfs
> - sysctl
> - character device
> - udp sockets
> - netlink sockets (with focus to generic netlink sockets)
> - ioctl (with character device)
> - writing new system calls
> - signals
> - mmap (with debug fs)
>
> Each of these topics will cover the following sections:
> - short description and design principles
> - intended use
> - pointers to further information
> - code example
>
> Is there an interest in such a HOWTO?

as part of a course i gave in basic kernel programming, i covered a
number of those topics, so i'd be interested in collaborating on that.
the one thing i'd be careful about is emphasizing those features that
are encouraged, and de-emphasizing the ones that are deprecated, such
as ioctl() calls.

more later.

rday

Robert P. J. Day