discuss: Ready for review: first five chapters of Windows-to-Linux Guide

Subject: Re: [discuss] Ready for review: first five chapters of Windows-to-Linux Guide
From: "Alexey Eremenko" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2006 15:19:55 -0000

On 6/4/06, Omari Norman ####@####.#### wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Now ready for review are the first five chapters of the revised
> Windows-to-Linux Guide, at
>
> http://www.smileystation.com/win-linux-guide/
>
> Several formats available for your convenience. Chapters are:
>
> 1. Is Linux right for you?
> 2. Core differences between Windows and Linux
> 3. Saving documents from your Windows system
> 4. Choosing a Linux distribution and getting installation media
> 5. Installing Linux
>
> Remember the intended audience: all this stuff is second nature when you've
> used Linux for years, but the choices are bewildering when you're
> new--especially when you're used to doing things the Windows way.
>
> Much remains to be written; there's an outline (which I will reorganize a
> bit) at the above URL.
>
> Any feedback is much appreciated, and thanks for your help--
>
> Omari

Hi there !

Nice overall, but it lacks many points:

1) You said about better software - which is not alwyas true:

http://www.smileystation.com/win-linux-guide/chunks/ch01s01.html#betterSoftware

While FireFox & KolourPaint might be better than MS IE & Paint - Adobe
Photoshop & MS Office 2003 combo are more powerful than
Thunderbird,OpenOffice,Gimp and Krita.
Also DreamWeaver is much more powerful in it's field than NVU/Quanta+
or a dozen other packages that Linux offers.

Sorry, but this section is complete bullsh*t. Proprietary software is better.

2) Core differences between Windows and Linux:

http://www.smileystation.com/win-linux-guide/chunks/ch02.html

You totally overlook that on Windows anything (say about 95% of all
features) can be reached with integrated GUI  - while most features
with Linux can be reached only by command-line - so it's better for
the users to learn command-line if they wanna work seriously on Linux
in the long-term.

3) Saving documents from your Windows system

Please mention that while Windows formats may work well on Linux -
it's recommended to recompress some multimedia files on Windows. You
gave general idea here:
http://www.smileystation.com/win-linux-guide/chunks/ch03s04.html

But plz give some idea of formats that Linux likes most:

a. Graphics: JPEG, PNG
b. Multimedia: OGG-Vorbis Audio and OGG-Theora Video
c. Documents: HTML, OpenDocument, Plain Text

please give recommendation to use those free format when on Linux -
and provide links to support those formats on Windows too - so for
dual-boot users - we will recommend Free formats.

please tell users that most distros don't support Multimedia codecs
out-of-the-box like: MP3, DivX, Xvid, Quicktime, Real, Windows Media,

So while Word/Excel documents will work, not so with Media files -
recompressiong to OGG is strongly recommended.

P.S. : As a SUSE Linux user - I might even continue your way of
thinking to try to deploy SUSE on user's systems as I did on my father
& mother systems.