discuss: Erroneous 'Recent Updates' entry?

Subject: Re: [discuss] Erroneous 'Recent Updates' entry?
From: John Eikenberry ####@####.####
Date: 27 Apr 2006 18:22:46 -0000

####@####.#### wrote:

> I know what happened. I updated my local copy of the CVS
> repository. The script that produces
> http://www.tldp.org/sorted_howtos.html examines the
> documents from the website to determine what have been
> published. It then references the *source* file out
> of the CVS repository (easier to parse the SGML/XML
> than trying to "guess" at what fields are available in
> HTML).  We never actually published your AI HOWTO update,
> but that particular version/source file was used in
> the script.

Thanks for the explanation.

> Sorry about that. No easy fix I'm afraid. I would need
> to "freeze" the SGML/XML source (store it elsewhere) to
> ensure it matches what has actually been published on the
> site. I'd rather avoid storing multiple copies of the source,
> since this situation rarely happens.

So if I wanted to help on my end, I could try keeping the version number in
the CVS copy matching the current tldp version no. until I'm ready to
submit?  That way the version listed on the sorted_howtos page would match
the tldp version.

> As for automation...Tille, until we strictly enforce
> some higher-constrained requirements (for publishing)
> upon every author/document, we will never reach that goal. IMO.

What constraints. SGML/XML formats I'm assuming. Which of the supported is
the preferred?

BTW, if I wanted to finally get around to converting my linuxdoc sgml to a
docbook format, would I need to request a change in its CVS location? It
currently recides in a howto/linuxdoc/ which seems like it might cause
processing issues if I suddenly commit a docbook version overtop of it.

Thanks again for your time.

--

John Eikenberry
####@####.#### - http://zhar.net]