discuss: Thread: New volunteer

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: New volunteer
From: Tom Novelli ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2009 20:57:00 +0000

Dear TLDP,

I'm interested in helping out with writing, editing, organizing,
scripting, etc.  I've been using Linux since ~1993, and it has slowly
dawned on me that there's no longer a definitive source for edited,
reviewed, organized, *up-to-date* Linux documentation.  The recent
Slashdot posting reminded me once again.

I found the task list and the 2010 manifesto.  What's the current
status?  How many active maintainers?  Top priorities?  IMHO, the
front page and browse/index pages need a complete overhaul to help
*users* find important docs.  As for the Wiki, the old system sounds
less troublesome.  Have you investigated moving from CVS to GIT?

Anyhow, I should probably start by writing or revising a few Tips and
Mini-Howtos.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Tom Novelli
http://tnovelli.github.com/
From: jdd-gmane ####@####.####
Date: 10 Dec 2009 07:13:10 +0000

Le 09/12/2009 21:56, Tom Novelli a écrit :
> Dear TLDP,
>
> I'm interested in helping out with writing, editing, organizing,
> scripting, etc.

good idea :-)

 I've been using Linux since ~1993, and it has slowly
> dawned on me that there's no longer a definitive source for edited,
> reviewed, organized, *up-to-date* Linux documentation.  The recent
> Slashdot posting reminded me once again.

could you drop me a link to the artisle? thanks

> I found the task list and the 2010 manifesto.  What's the current
> status?  How many active maintainers?  Top priorities?  IMHO, the
> front page and browse/index pages need a complete overhaul to help
> *users* find important docs.  As for the Wiki, the old system sounds
> less troublesome.  Have you investigated moving from CVS to GIT?
>
> Anyhow, I should probably start by writing or revising a few Tips and
> Mini-Howtos.  Any suggestions?

look at recent changes and you will see very little activity (I have
some family problem that stopped me working for some weeks now).

But I hope we can restart with the new year and any idea is welcome :-)

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: New volunteer
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 10 Dec 2009 07:23:09 +0000

Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####

> could you drop me a link to the artisle? thanks

I believe he's referring to
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/12/03/1449211/Is-Linux-Documentation-Lacking

...which also links to an 2007 item:
http://ask.slashdot.org/story/07/04/18/2312218/Fragmentation-in-Linux-Documentation

--
Rick Moen                            "If accuracy / Is what you crave /
####@####.####                  Then you should call it / Myanmar Shave."
From: Scott Rusnak ####@####.####
Date: 10 Dec 2009 07:23:49 +0000

I would love to contribute as well, I only lack being told how.

WeareallGodschildren

______________________
http://lists.tldp.org/

From: Dinesh Joshi ####@####.####
Date: 10 Dec 2009 07:33:49 +0000

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:12 AM, jdd-gmane ####@####.#### wrote:

> But I hope we can restart with the new year and any idea is welcome :-)

I absolutely do not mean to hijack this thread but am I too a "volunteer" at
TLDP? I dont even remember why I joined this mailing list :P

Dinesh
From: jdd-gmane ####@####.####
Date: 10 Dec 2009 08:34:58 +0000

Le 10/12/2009 08:22, Scott Rusnak a écrit :
> I would love to contribute as well, I only lack being told how.

the usual way is to search for a HOWTO on your knowledge and clean it up.

The HOWTO list is here

http://wiki.tldp.org/Page_Status

any free licence HOWTO can be used.

And I asked to know if we shouldn't add some insert in any HOWTO
asking for help

like this:

"The LDP needs volunteers. Making the HOWTO uptodate, creating new
HOWTO's, managing the collection, needs volunteers. If you can help,
please look at the task list (http://wiki.tldp.org/Task_list) and

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net