discuss: Thread: TLDP documentation repository.

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: TLDP documentation repository.
From: Svetoslav Chukov ####@####.####
Date: 23 May 2009 11:53:18 +0100

Hello,

I am glad to inform you that a repository with TLDP documentation RPM
packages is available online. So, now Fedora, CentOS, Red Hat, and all other
RPM based distributions can use this repository. And also can include the
packages in their own repositories.
Please, have a look at the wiki page on TLDP.
http://wiki.tldp.org/Package%20Repositories#preview

If you know for other such repositories, please add them to the page.

You can install the package repository via YUM or RPM. Please, use the
package rpm here http://spreadfedora.org/sf/files/tldp-repo-0.1-1.noarch.rpm

If your distribution use PackageKit you can also download and install this
repository rpm.

--
Svetoslav Chukov
Subject: Re: [discuss] TLDP documentation repository.
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 23 May 2009 12:17:22 +0100

Svetoslav Chukov a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I am glad to inform you that a repository with TLDP documentation RPM
> packages is available online.

very good, thanks!

jdd

--
jdd for the Linux Documentation Project
http://wiki.tldp.org
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 23 May 2009 12:23:33 +0100

Svetoslav Chukov a écrit :
> Hello,

> You can install the package repository via YUM or RPM. Please, use the
> package rpm here http://spreadfedora.org/sf/files/tldp-repo-0.1-1.noarch.rpm

why don't simply make an attachement on the wiki? I did it right now
without any problem.

linking to fedora may gives problems with other distros

jdd

From: Svetoslav Chukov ####@####.####
Date: 23 May 2009 12:31:28 +0100

Actually, it is not linking to Fedora.
This repository makes the documentation available for all distributions that
support YUM or PackageKit. Even the OpenSUSE users can install this
repository via PackageKit.
The repository makes the first steps TLDP to be included in Fedora and
CentOS.

jdd, can you try to use this repository in OpenSUSE with PackageKit?
The packages are noarch and they do not depend on anything. So, any
distribution can use them.

--
Svetoslav Chukov

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM, jdd for http://tldp.org ####@####.####

From: Svetoslav Chukov ####@####.####
Date: 23 May 2009 13:14:14 +0100

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 2:39 PM, jdd for http://tldp.org ####@####.####

> Svetoslav Chukov a écrit :
> > Actually, it is not linking to Fedora.
> > This repository makes the documentation available for all distributions
> that
> > support YUM or PackageKit. Even the OpenSUSE users can install this
> > repository via PackageKit.
> > The repository makes the first steps TLDP to be included in Fedora and
> > CentOS.
> >
> > jdd, can you try to use this repository in OpenSUSE with PackageKit?
> > The packages are noarch and they do not depend on anything. So, any
> > distribution can use them.
> >
> yes, I understand the package can be used anywhere, it's just that I
> don't see why we can't host it at the ldp.

Yes, we can  host it. I did it on my server just because it was much faster
to do it. Let's see if this way would be successful in the future, and then
if you wish we can migrate it to reggae.tldp.org Or if you wish we can
migrate it even now.

> That said, the package is only 2k, so I beg it's only a link. Standard
> openSUSE install via Yast donc gives anything visible (except
> installing tldp.repo in /etc/yum.repo.d)
>
> openSUSE can use nearly any package system, but to see this I need
> some syntax example.
>
> openSUSE gives howtoenh-2007.1.1-104.9.noarch.rpm
>
> if your system is better, I will contact the maintainer and ask if
> they want to change

Let's see how this will perform. If the result is good, and if the people
use this repository, we can think about something more.
I prefer and I think, that a global TLDP documentation repository is the
best for us. So, I think we (the TLDP team) should support and maintain a
repository for all the documents. And those documents should be available to
all the Linux users in the easiest way. This will be in benefit for us
because we will spend less time for maintanence. We will have a repository
and when a package is updated, we (or automated script) will just add
another package and it will be automatically availabe for all the people in
their distributions.

--
Svetoslav Chukov

From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 23 May 2009 14:05:54 +0100

Svetoslav Chukov a écrit :
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 2:39 PM, jdd for http://tldp.org ####@####.####

>> yes, I understand the package can be used anywhere, it's just that I
>> don't see why we can't host it at the ldp.
>>

> Yes, we can  host it. I did it on my server just because it was much faster
> to do it. Let's see if this way would be successful in the future, and then
> if you wish we can migrate it to reggae.tldp.org Or if you wish we can
> migrate it even now.

spreadfedora is yours? we have no need to migrate this now, Just now I
thought only of the rpm, I already loaded on the wiki page as attachement.

> I prefer and I think, that a global TLDP documentation repository is the
> best for us

there are two different things. Online repository and off line.

Saying it's available in a distri, for me, mean that one will have it
off line (on his own computer) as soon as he install the distro. On
openSUSE it's in the basic install (including translations)

but if your system works like it seems to be, we can direct the
distros maintainer on it. i'm sure if this make they work easier, it
will be appreciated, I don't kow how they work for now

Having an official HOWTO rpm & deb is in my opinion, very good.

thanks
jdd

From: Svetoslav Chukov ####@####.####
Date: 23 May 2009 14:16:43 +0100

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:01 PM, jdd for http://tldp.org ####@####.####

> Svetoslav Chukov a écrit :
> > On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 2:39 PM, jdd for http://tldp.org ####@####.####
> >wrote:
>
> >> yes, I understand the package can be used anywhere, it's just that I
> >> don't see why we can't host it at the ldp.
> >>

> > Yes, we can  host it. I did it on my server just because it was much
> faster
> > to do it. Let's see if this way would be successful in the future, and
> then
> > if you wish we can migrate it to reggae.tldp.org Or if you wish we can
> > migrate it even now.
>
> spreadfedora is yours? we have no need to migrate this now, Just now I
> thought only of the rpm, I already loaded on the wiki page as attachement.

Yes, you know, I try to support LInux as well as Fedora, and some others as
much as I can.

> > I prefer and I think, that a global TLDP documentation repository is the
> > best for us
>
> there are two different things. Online repository and off line.
>
> Saying it's available in a distri, for me, mean that one will have it
> off line (on his own computer) as soon as he install the distro. On
> openSUSE it's in the basic install (including translations)
>
> but if your system works like it seems to be, we can direct the
> distros maintainer on it. i'm sure if this make they work easier, it
> will be appreciated, I don't kow how they work for now
>
> Having an official HOWTO rpm & deb is in my opinion, very good.

I will try to build also an apt-get repository for debian/ubuntu based
systems.

--
Svetoslav Chukov

From: James Hess ####@####.####
Date: 23 May 2009 23:46:28 +0100

>> spreadfedora is yours? we have no need to migrate this now, Just now I
>> thought only of the rpm, I already loaded on the wiki page as attachement.
>>
> Yes, you know, I try to support LInux as well as Fedora, and some others as
> much as I can.

I'm guessing there's concern that   some  Ubuntu, SuSE, Debian,
Gentoo, etc, users  who think their distro is better  might take some
issue with the URL
"spreadfedora".

Or that it might cause some confusion that the documentation contained
in the packages  primarily aplies to Fedora,  or that  Fedora is
somehow endorsed as a Linux distro better than others.

I would suggest having LDP host, or at least having LDP provide some
DNS CNAME record,  so that  TLDP.ORG   URLs  can be used....

--
-J
From: Svetoslav Chukov ####@####.####
Date: 24 May 2009 10:08:33 +0100

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 1:41 AM, James Hess ####@####.#### wrote:

> >> spreadfedora is yours? we have no need to migrate this now, Just now I
> >> thought only of the rpm, I already loaded on the wiki page as
> attachement.
> >>
> > Yes, you know, I try to support LInux as well as Fedora, and some others
> as
> > much as I can.
>
> I'm guessing there's concern that   some  Ubuntu, SuSE, Debian,
> Gentoo, etc, users  who think their distro is better  might take some
> issue with the URL
> "spreadfedora".

Yes, I agree. I will change it to raw IP. ftp://78.130.133.76/tldp/base
Let's see how this will start, if the people use it, we can make a step
forward.

> Or that it might cause some confusion that the documentation contained
> in the packages  primarily aplies to Fedora,  or that  Fedora is
> somehow endorsed as a Linux distro better than others.
>
> I would suggest having LDP host, or at least having LDP provide some
> DNS CNAME record,  so that  TLDP.ORG   URLs  can be used....

Yes, we can do that and it will be the best thing to do. But tldp.org has
some administration difficulties.

--
Svetoslav Chukov
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 25 May 2009 05:47:57 +0100

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 04:11:36PM +0300, Svetoslav Chukov wrote:

> I will try to build also an apt-get repository for debian/ubuntu based
> systems.

As you may know, Debian spilt the LDP HOWTOs into 2 packages: free and
non-free.  I thought it was wrong to do this, but do it they did.
Most of the HOWTOs are in the main (free) section of Debian.