discuss: Thread: Bug tracker for LDP

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Bug tracker for LDP
From: David Crosby ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 2009 19:35:56 +0100

I was talking within my LUG, and one strong suggestion was a bug
tracking/workflow solution like Bugzilla or trac. Using that would be
helpful in tracking the transition to a wiki workflow, etc.

-Dafydd
Subject: Re: [discuss] Bug tracker for LDP
From: Sergiusz Pawlowicz ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 2009 19:51:17 +0100

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 19:31, David Crosby ####@####.#### wrote:
> I was talking within my LUG, and one strong suggestion was a bug
> tracking/workflow solution like Bugzilla or trac. Using that would be
> helpful in tracking the transition to a wiki workflow, etc.

you mean http://bugs.tldp.org/ ?

it does not look like anyone really need it, as it is not used

s.
From: Bill Traynor ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 2009 19:58:31 +0100

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz
####@####.#### wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 19:31, David Crosby ####@####.#### wrote:
>> I was talking within my LUG, and one strong suggestion was a bug
>> tracking/workflow solution like Bugzilla or trac. Using that would be
>> helpful in tracking the transition to a wiki workflow, etc.
>
> you mean http://bugs.tldp.org/ ?
>
> it does not look like anyone really need it, as it is not used

Signing up for an account fails:

APPLICATION ERROR #401

Database query failed. Error received from database was #1146: Table
'linuxdoc.mantis_email_table' doesn't exist for the query: INSERT INTO
mantis_email_table
( email,
subject,
body,
submitted,
metadata)
VALUES
( ####@####.####
'[Mantis] Account registration',
'Thank you for registering. You have an account with username
\"wmat\". In order to complete your registration, visit the following
URL (make sure it is entered as the single line) and set your own
access password:
\n\nhttp://bugs.tldp.org/verify.php?id=21&confirm_hash=2c5ef4b81080deeb742a3d1384b8f05b
\n\nIf you did not request any registration, ignore this message and
nothing will happen.\\n\\nDO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE',
'2009-05-18 19:56:19',
'a:3:{s:8:"priority";s:1:"3";s:7:"charset";s:5:"utf-8";s:8:"hostname";s:13:"bugs.tldp.org";}'
).

Please use the "Back" button in your web browser to return to the
in this error or select another action. You can also click an option
from the menu bar to go directly to a new section.

From: David Crosby ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 2009 19:59:44 +0100

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz
####@####.#### wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 19:31, David Crosby ####@####.#### wrote:
>> I was talking within my LUG, and one strong suggestion was a bug
>> tracking/workflow solution like Bugzilla or trac. Using that would be
>> helpful in tracking the transition to a wiki workflow, etc.
>
> you mean http://bugs.tldp.org/ ?
>
> it does not look like anyone really need it, as it is not used
>
> s.

First off, where in the static site does it even make mention of it? I
didn't even know it EXISTED. It should be mentioned somewhere in the
volunteer/contribution section.
Second, why are we requiring people to have a login before even
looking at the existing bugs? Read permissions should be set so that
you shouldn't need to log in to see them.
Third, it's broken :-(

-Dafydd
From: Bill Traynor ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 2009 20:29:37 +0100

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Bill Traynor ####@####.#### wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz
> ####@####.#### wrote:
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 19:31, David Crosby ####@####.#### wrote:
>>> I was talking within my LUG, and one strong suggestion was a bug
>>> tracking/workflow solution like Bugzilla or trac. Using that would be
>>> helpful in tracking the transition to a wiki workflow, etc.
>>
>> you mean http://bugs.tldp.org/ ?
>>
>> it does not look like anyone really need it, as it is not used
>
> Signing up for an account fails:
>
> APPLICATION ERROR #401
>
> Database query failed. Error received from database was #1146: Table
> 'linuxdoc.mantis_email_table' doesn't exist for the query: INSERT INTO
> mantis_email_table
> ( email,
> subject,
> body,
> submitted,
> metadata)
> VALUES
> ( ####@####.####
> '[Mantis] Account registration',
> 'Thank you for registering. You have an account with username
> \"wmat\". In order to complete your registration, visit the following
> URL (make sure it is entered as the single line) and set your own
> access password:
> \n\nhttp://bugs.tldp.org/verify.php?id=21&confirm_hash=2c5ef4b81080deeb742a3d1384b8f05b
> \n\nIf you did not request any registration, ignore this message and
> nothing will happen.\\n\\nDO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE',
> '2009-05-18 19:56:19',
> 'a:3:{s:8:"priority";s:1:"3";s:7:"charset";s:5:"utf-8";s:8:"hostname";s:13:"bugs.tldp.org";}'
> ).
>
> Please use the "Back" button in your web browser to return to the
> in this error or select another action. You can also click an option
> from the menu bar to go directly to a new section.

I managed to work around this error.  Dafydd asked on IRC if the link
in the error msg confirmed the registration.  I was to late to try it,
therfore I requested a new password.  I received a similar error, but
was able to copy the confirmation link from the error msg into a
browser window and get into Mantis.

From: Sergiusz Pawlowicz ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 2009 20:29:49 +0100

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 19:55, David Crosby ####@####.#### wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz
> ####@####.#### wrote:
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 19:31, David Crosby ####@####.#### wrote:
>>> I was talking within my LUG, and one strong suggestion was a bug
>>> tracking/workflow solution like Bugzilla or trac. Using that would be
>>> helpful in tracking the transition to a wiki workflow, etc.
>>
>> you mean http://bugs.tldp.org/ ?
>>
>> it does not look like anyone really need it, as it is not used
>>
>> s.
>>
> First off, where in the static site does it even make mention of it? I
> didn't even know it EXISTED. It should be mentioned somewhere in the
> volunteer/contribution section.

the problem is ismael asked for it a huge time ago, and it looks never
started to use...
it broke after recent server upgrade and nobody has reported it.

> Second, why are we requiring people to have a login before even
> looking at the existing bugs? Read permissions should be set so that
> you shouldn't need to log in to see them.

are you sure chaps, an advance bugtracking is really need?
a simple wiki page will be not enough for two people?

> Third, it's broken :-(

i can repair it, but i am really bored about doing unused things.
please assure me you do not have a flash in the pan...

s.
From: David Crosby ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 2009 20:36:34 +0100

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz
####@####.#### wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 19:55, David Crosby ####@####.#### wrote:
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz
>> ####@####.#### wrote:
>>>
>>> you mean http://bugs.tldp.org/ ?
>>>
>>> it does not look like anyone really need it, as it is not used
>>>
>>> s.
>>>
>> First off, where in the static site does it even make mention of it? I
>> didn't even know it EXISTED. It should be mentioned somewhere in the
>> volunteer/contribution section.
>
> the problem is ismael asked for it a huge time ago, and it looks never
> started to use...
> it broke after recent server upgrade and nobody has reported it.
>
>> Second, why are we requiring people to have a login before even
>> looking at the existing bugs? Read permissions should be set so that
>> you shouldn't need to log in to see them.
>
> are you sure chaps, an advance bugtracking is really need?
> a simple wiki page will be not enough for two people?
>
>> Third, it's broken :-(
>
> i can repair it, but i am really bored about doing unused things.
> please assure me you do not have a flash in the pan...

I'll happily fix it myself, if I'm given some SSH access (or
equivalent). I really want to see this site succeed, and my company is
giving me paid time to bring this project back from the dead.

The failure of the bug tracker had little to do with the tracker
itself, but that it wasn't even advertised on the static site.

-Dafydd
From: Sergiusz Pawlowicz ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 2009 23:09:11 +0100

yeah, it looks bugs page is broken - i will repair it.

meanwhile: could you please send me categories we need for "bugs"?

please notice we are very small team, so 1000 categories is definitely
too much, few of them will be enough.

s.
From: David Crosby ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 2009 23:43:57 +0100

We'll need a category for the Wiki/Static site, one for Mailing
List/IRC, and one for Mirrors/Mirroring. Optionally, we could have an
Outreach category, where we can track progress in trying to reach
different authors and contributors.

That should cover 99% of the issues that LDP will need to deal with
for the next couple years easily.

-Dafydd

From: David Crosby ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 2009 23:48:43 +0100