discuss: Thread: GFDL and GPL on the wiki

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: GFDL and GPL on the wiki
From: David Crosby ####@####.####
Date: 19 May 2009 04:34:25 +0100

I'd like to move some of the documents to the wiki, but I thought I'd
quickly ask what will need to be done on the page to ensure compliance
with the GPL and the GFDL (there's nothing explicitly stating what to
do in the wiki).

Apologies in advance if I merely overlooked a page.

-Dafydd
Subject: Re: GFDL and GPL on the wiki
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 19 May 2009 08:34:38 +0100

David Crosby a écrit :
> I'd like to move some of the documents to the wiki, but I thought I'd
> quickly ask what will need to be done on the page to ensure compliance
> with the GPL and the GFDL (there's nothing explicitly stating what to
> do in the wiki).
>
> Apologies in advance if I merely overlooked a page.
>
> -Dafydd

http://wiki.tldp.org/LdpWikiDefaultLicence

If you are the author of the document, you can choose any of the
licences listed there.

thanks
jdd

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: GFDL and GPL on the wiki
From: Dafydd Crosby ####@####.####
Date: 19 May 2009 08:59:14 +0100

jdd wrote:
> David Crosby a écrit :
>
>> I'd like to move some of the documents to the wiki, but I thought I'd
>> quickly ask what will need to be done on the page to ensure compliance
>> with the GPL and the GFDL (there's nothing explicitly stating what to
>> do in the wiki).
>>
>> Apologies in advance if I merely overlooked a page.
>>
>> -Dafydd
>>

> http://wiki.tldp.org/LdpWikiDefaultLicence
>
> If you are the author of the document, you can choose any of the
> licences listed there.
>
> thanks
> jdd

I think you may have misunderstood. I was going to take pages that *I*
had not written and move them to the wiki. I want to know what legal
obligations I have when I do this. Is converting a GFDL document to wiki
markup and putting it into the wiki going to require any special work,
or require something that is not immediately obvious?

-Dafydd
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 19 May 2009 09:40:38 +0100

Dafydd Crosby a écrit :

> I think you may have misunderstood. I was going to take pages that *I*
> had not written and move them to the wiki. I want to know what legal
> obligations I have when I do this. Is converting a GFDL document to wiki
> markup and putting it into the wiki going to require any special work,
> or require something that is not immediately obvious?

http://wiki.tldp.org/Converting-a-HOWTO

AFAIK, all the HOWTO that have a problem are already ported to the
wiki, with a read only attribute.

I think the best thing you can do is begin the work and report here if
any problem.

until now I was nearly the only one to do this, and I try to document,
but I missed probably many things. Simply organising the home keeping
doc in the wiki is not obvious and I sometime open two pages with the
same goal :-(

thanks for your help

jdd