discuss: Thread: Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC) (was: ...)

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC) (was: ...)
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 19 Apr 2007 06:28:13 -0000

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 01:56:54PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
>
> > There is possibly a easier way out for LDP.  Take a look at
> > http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/
>
> Appears to be well thought out, and run by reliable people.

This is something like ibiblio holding money for us.  LDP would become
part of the non-profit SFC corporation with an agreement that they
wouldn't interfere in our operations but would handle the financial
aspect of it.  They would hold our money but their site says nothing
about paying interest on it so I suspect that they pay nothing.  They
say that you must be an open source software project to join them.
We're not exactly that.

I suppose that we might then recruit thru VolunteerMatch.  We would
use SFC's EIN number (if they let us) and then place adds for the LDP
branch of SFC.

It seems to me that LDP is important enough to be able to incorporate
on it's own.  That's certainly more prestigious than to become a part of
an umbrella corporation.