discuss: Thread: HTML online converter

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: HTML online converter
From: Fernando Boaglio ####@####.####
Date: 30 Apr 2007 13:26:42 -0000

Hello my friends,

I'm in the middle of translation of Linux-Gamers-HOWTO to pt_BR.

Since there is no docbook version, I'm translating the SGML file, which is the only available source.

I would like to publish the available translation on my website, so people can start reading it. ;)

The main problem is this conversion to HTML, I've tried using openjade with no success.

I remember installing some deprecated tools in 2000 when I was translating the Oracle-HOWTO, but for now I'm using Gentoo and I don't have a clue. =(

So I was wandering if there is somewhere out there a tool to upload my SGML file and convert it to HTML online...

And if there is no such thing, maybe some good soul could make it available at tldp.org =P

[]'s
Fernando Boaglio

Fale com seus amigos  de graça com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/
Subject: Re: [discuss] HTML online converter
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 30 Apr 2007 14:59:03 -0000

From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 30 Apr 2007 15:06:38 -0000

Machtelt Garrels wrote:

> You can send it to me, I will convert it to our standard DocBook XML.

do you have any automatic translation tool? We, at openSUSE, have
similar problem translating from mediawiki to the Novell docbook format.

of course all this can be made by hand, but at expense of many work :-)

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
Cécile, esthéticienne à Montpellier
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 30 Apr 2007 15:13:41 -0000

Subject: Res: [discuss] HTML online converter
From: Fernando Boaglio ####@####.####
Date: 30 Apr 2007 21:01:59 -0000

Machtelt Garrels wrote:

> You can send it to me, I will convert it to our standard DocBook XML.

The problem is the original author keeps using SGML, and then I will need to convert every new update.

The ideal is we both convert everything to DocBook format and leave SGML.

I will try to ask him...

From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 1 May 2007 15:44:58 -0000

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 06:26:15AM -0700, Fernando Boaglio wrote:
> Hello my friends,
>
> I'm in the middle of translation of Linux-Gamers-HOWTO to pt_BR.
>
> Since there is no docbook version, I'm translating the SGML file,
> which is the only available source.
You probably mean the linuxdoc-sgml file.  You just use the
linuxdoc-tools package and type:

sgml2html Linux-Gamers-HOWTO.sgml

If you convert to docbook, be sure to save the linuxdoc-sgml version
since it's easier to maintain in linuxdoc and there are no converters
available to convert from docbook to linuxdoc.

The Debian linuxdoc-tools has recently had a number of bugs fixed but
they were in sgml2txt and sgml2latex so the current version of
sgml2html should work fine.

			David Lawyer
Subject: Re: Res: [discuss] HTML online converter
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 1 May 2007 15:59:03 -0000

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 02:01:32PM -0700, Fernando Boaglio wrote:

> Machtelt Garrels wrote:
>
> > You can send it to me, I will convert it to our standard DocBook XML.
>
> The problem is the original author keeps using SGML, and then I will
> need to convert every new update.

What I suggest is that you use linuxdoc-sgml.  It looks a lot cleaner
than docbook and has only about 20% of the tags visible.  Most tags are
omitted but are still implicitly there and the sgml software figures
out where the missing tags should be put when it does a conversion.
You don't have to use the tags.

This is a canned statement I keep as a vim macro:

For a simple alternative to DocBook
markup see my mini howto: Howtos-with-LinuxDoc.  The LinuxDoc format
is much easier to learn and use but doesn't have as may options as
DocBook.  The url is
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Howtos-with-LinuxDoc.html
See also a comparison of the two markups at
www.lafn.org/~dave/linux/ld_vs_db.txt

> The ideal is we both convert everything to DocBook format and leave SGML.

I don't think you should do this.