discuss: Thread: Need some advice on Docbook XML

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Need some advice on Docbook XML
From: Luc de Louw ####@####.####
Date: 29 Apr 2007 18:20:18 -0000

Dear all,

After more that four years of silence, I'm back for updating my
documents. Meantime SGML is quite a bit out-of-date and I found the Mind
XML editor, I decided to go for a rewrite in Docbook XML.

I made a prototype with six pages:
http://www.delouw.ch/linux/draft/Apache2.xml

Before I'm going to put more effort into it, I'd like to have some
advice from you if I'm on the right way.

It would be great if someone can have a quick look at it.

Thanks a lot,

Luc
Subject: Re: [discuss] Need some advice on Docbook XML
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 30 Apr 2007 14:50:15 -0000

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Luc de Louw wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> After more that four years of silence, I'm back for updating my
> documents. Meantime SGML is quite a bit out-of-date and I found the Mind
> XML editor, I decided to go for a rewrite in Docbook XML.
>
> I made a prototype with six pages:
> http://www.delouw.ch/linux/draft/Apache2.xml
>
> Before I'm going to put more effort into it, I'd like to have some
> advice from you if I'm on the right way.

Only some minor remarks:

- - instead of using embedded section tags, you could put the first sections
in a preface tag.
- - revision can have authorinitials as extra info
- - package names could have application tags to highlight them
- - command tag can have all sorts of children, like parameter, option,
filename, etc.

For conversion to html, you can use xsltproc, like this:

xsltproc --stringparam html.stylesheet xml2html.css --stringparam \
section.autolabel 1 --stringparam admon.graphics 1 \
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/xsl/nwalsh/html/docbook.xsl \
drupal.xml > drupal.html

For conversion to PDF, also, in combination with Apache's FOP:

xsltproc --stringparam html.stylesheet xml2html.css --stringparam \
section.autolabel 1 --stringparam paper.type A4 --stringparam \
admon.graphics 1 \
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/xsl/nwalsh/fo/docbook.xsl
\ drupal-fr.xml > drupal-fr.fo

and then

fop -fo drupal-fr.fo -pdf drupal-fr.pdf

Pathnames are taken from a Debian machine.

Example source files can be found at http://cvsview.tldp.org and in the
Author Guide (appendixes).

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Kind regards,

Tille.

- --
Machtelt Garrels                ####@####.####