discuss: Thread: small demo page

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 7 [>] [>>]
Subject: small demo page
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 14:27:07 -0000

I setup a very small demo page.

this page is accessible from the main page, but you can go
directly to:

http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/Tldp_demo_page

it's on my own personal server at home, on a dsl line, not
too fast, not always up :-(.

you can test the page as anonymous, login with your name
(create an account), or login as the "author", "Tldp"
(capital first letter), passwd "tldp" (no capitals) as sysop.

I could not use direct html (did no good on the wiki page),
only the text one, On the other wiki seen here that was not
the case, they may be a solution I don't know.

I setup a locked page and an unlocked one.

I used my own HOWTO for an example.

e,joy, modify as you can. beware, as sysop, you can access
all the pages, even not tldp ones (not so interesting and
only in french :-()

jdd

--
pour m'écrire, aller sur:
http://www.dodin.net
From: Paul Jones ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 14:31:58 -0000

sorry to be late on this. we at ibilbio run a few instances of mediawiki
and we love it. there are problems with defacements both from bad people
and from bots. a favorite is to create a new page full of links to warez
and porn then to remove the reference from the previous pages or even to
remove the refering pages. then you have a 'secret' page to which lusers
can go to directly but the managers of the site, if they are lax, will
rarely find.
that said restricting and/or approving logins helps.
all you need to do is ask for the mysql set up required and to set up an
instance of mediawiki. we do not do that centrally.
but you/we must be responsible for policing the wiki.

+
[...]

                             Paul Jones
 "Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation." Alasdair Gray
                http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/blog/
  ####@####.####   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071
From: Pradeep Padala ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 17:56:58 -0000

> http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/Tldp_demo_page
> I setup a locked page and an unlocked one.
>
> I used my own HOWTO for an example.

The setup with stable and editable HOWTO seems good. Since your howto is
a simple one, it's pretty easy to edit. But, consider the bigger HOWTOs
with code and even images. For example, I generate the code in my
NCURSES HOWTO from the real c programs stored seprately. I don't want
anyone directly editing the code in the HOWTO. It's also possible for
someone to throw in some bad code (either style-wise or real malicious)
in the howto and it will be tough to check as I have more than 30 little
programs. Also, I have references to snippets of code, that are not
directly in the HOWTO.

In concept, having a Wiki sounds nice. But, until we get a good editing
mechanism, having a comment mechanism like postgresql documentation
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/index.html) that allows
comments for each individual page is probably a better option.

Different howtos have different requirements. My HOWTO is more like a
guide, and is not going to change much. However, I want to correct small
errors in programs etc. I can do that simply by collecting all the
reader's comments (that's how I do it now). Some other howtos are
describing howto do a single thing, and may require constant update as
Linux changes.

My 2c.

--
Pradeep Padala
http://ppadala.blogspot.com
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 19:07:26 -0000

Pradeep Padala wrote:

> with code and even images.

i that case, the answer is probably even simpler: gives only
a like on the wiki locked page to the hole HOWTO and ask for
comments on the talk page.

> comments for each individual page is probably a better option.

each wiki page has it's own talk page

> errors in programs etc. I can do that simply by collecting all the
> reader's comments (that's how I do it now).

I do the same, but users comment come in various ways and I
tend to loose them :-(

the wiki david quoted seemed have a solution to get the
howto online (but right now it's out of order, I can't verufy)

jdd

--
pour m'écrire, aller sur:
http://www.dodin.net
From: Pradeep Padala ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 19:13:35 -0000

>> with code and even images.
>
> i that case, the answer is probably even simpler: gives only a like on
> the wiki locked page to the hole HOWTO and ask for comments on the talk
> page.

Yep, that's what I had in my mind. Something like that for howto that
are kind of like guides.

>> comments for each individual page is probably a better option.
>
> each wiki page has it's own talk page

Right, but how are we going to publish the howtos? Just as a single HTML
or multiple pages with comments on each page? If this is allowed, are we
going to throw away SGML? If we do, what about PDF, PS ... generation?

--
Pradeep Padala
http://ppadala.blogspot.com
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 19:27:14 -0000

Pradeep Padala wrote:

> Right, but how are we going to publish the howtos? Just as a single HTML
> or multiple pages with comments on each page? If this is allowed, are we
> going to throw away SGML? If we do, what about PDF, PS ... generation?

editing the HOWTO directly would be good if we had a backend
mediawiki<->docbook, what we have not.

the wiki can only be an additional entry, not a panacea.

media wiki have a small but still better than text (:-)
image include capability.

but the real question is: do the tldp need a new way to
communicate between users and authors. I think personnaly
that there is a great lack of comms here, but I know also,
there is much documentation out of the ldp, now, and often
more up to date. tldp may be silently dying...

jdd

--
pour m'écrire, aller sur:
http://www.dodin.net
From: Pradeep Padala ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 19:46:47 -0000

> but the real question is: do the tldp need a new way to communicate
> between users and authors. I think personnaly that there is a great lack
> of comms here, but I know also, there is much documentation out of the
> ldp, now, and often more up to date. tldp may be silently dying...

You hit the nail right on the head. I personally would like to see tldp
improve, pursue outside authors to submit documents, better review
process and quicker updates. I think for most of the newbies tldp is
still the first stop (That's how I started learning Linux in the dark ages).

I can start the process of contacting outside authors and request them
to submit their documents, and help them convert their html to docbook
etc. Do you think this would be helpful?

Can somebody update the link about my html2db on
http://www.tldp.org/authors/index.html#resources. Please change it from
http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~ppadala/tidy/ to
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~ppadala/projects/tidy/

--
Pradeep Padala
http://ppadala.blogspot.com
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 21:16:32 -0000

jdd wrote:

> Pradeep Padala wrote:
>
>> Right, but how are we going to publish the howtos? Just as a single
>> HTML or multiple pages with comments on each page? If this is allowed,
>> are we going to throw away SGML? If we do, what about PDF, PS ...
>> generation?

Supporting multiple formats is important. HTML and plain text
seems trivial, not sure about PS and PDF.

> editing the HOWTO directly would be good if we had a backend
> mediawiki<->docbook, what we have not.

Conversion will likely incur a lot of lossage, moreso for
conversion to DocCook than LinuxDoc. Even so also LinuxDoc
conversion will have lossage like indexing tags.

> the wiki can only be an additional entry, not a panacea.

No matter the form or format of entry, a source for multiple
output formats were always a goal. Invisible markup will be a
problem, especially for those that believe in the semantic web.

> media wiki have a small but still better than text (:-) image include
> capability.

I feel illustrations should be used sparsingly in dcuments that
after all should work well in plain ascii.

> but the real question is: do the tldp need a new way to communicate
> between users and authors. I think personnaly that there is a great lack
> of comms here, but I know also, there is much documentation out of the
> ldp, now, and often more up to date. tldp may be silently dying...

Rapid user feedback is what makes this approach interesting to me.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 21:17:34 -0000

Pradeep Padala wrote:

> Can somebody update the link about my html2db on

I forgot that one.

wiki text is very similar to html. it accepts many html tags
(tables, pre, p, br). So it should be pretty trivial to
chage htmltodb for mediawikitodb, still needing layout
instructions to set the text correctly formatted.

anyway, any wiki engine produces html for the browser, this
is another way of choice.

if ever we choose to go in such a direction, probably the
mediawiki tech list will be interested (I'm subscribed).

But before going further, we need to know if the tldp will
accept this. probably need some patience (waiting for
septembre and the others members)

jdd

--
pour m'écrire, aller sur:
http://www.dodin.net
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 21:53:48 -0000

> but the real question is: do the tldp need a new way to
> communicate between users and authors. I think personnaly
> that there is a great lack of comms here, but I know also,
> there is much documentation out of the ldp, now, and often
> more up to date. tldp may be silently dying...

i personally think TLDP as it currently exist should now retire. Most
of the HOWTOs (including mine) are not needed anymore, since the linux
distros and other opensource apps have started producing excellent
documentation. Check out the documentation produced by RedHat. It is
excellent. Same goes for Apache.

TLDP should now change their business philosophy. I would like to see
a searchable (google-able) database of the documentations produced by
OpenSource/Linux vendors. The readers should be able to add comments
and provide feedback and sample code to each topic, much like what
mySQL does.

Any thoughts?

--
In Peace,