discuss: Thread: To or not to Wiki, a summary [Was Re: small demo page]

[<<] [<] Page 3 of 3 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: To or not to Wiki, a summary [Was Re: small demo page]
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 24 Aug 2005 16:14:11 -0000

Randy Kramer wrote:

> To clarify, that means Sourceforge won't "host" a wiki

whell noluck, then. I was fooled byt a mediawiki page on how
to install on sourceforge :-(.

I can see some solutions

* I can host a wiki on my own computer - but I can give no
assuranceit will be steadily in line (I hope it will, but
it's old and if it fails I may take weeks before having an
other)

* I can host a tldp wiki on http://www.free.fr a free
account provider I have many accounts on it - allows up to
gb and wikis, but the url endup in "free.fr" - 2 or three
days delay

* we can ask ibiblio, who has already accepted to host the
final wiki (if any). who can ask them?

* ...?

jdd
--
pour m'écrire, aller sur:
http://www.dodin.net
From: folajimi ####@####.####
Date: 24 Aug 2005 16:40:29 -0000

> PS: I meant to look at a calendar, but I'm pretty sure there are no US
> holidays (non-business days) this week, but Sept. 1 is Labor Day, and will
> probably be celebrated on Monday of this coming week (the 29th).
>
> Randy Kramer

FYI, the holiday in question is usually slated for the first Monday in the
month of September. In this case, the holiday would occur on September 5, 2005.
This might explain why some people say that the "holiday is coming late this
year..."

JA
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 24 Aug 2005 20:21:11 -0000

Quoting Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####

> Yeah, you all take a good look at this and stop calling me "Mr. Garrels"
> or "Dear Sir" :P

Heh.

English is hopeless.  French is hopeless.  German is hopeless.  We
_could_ all switch to Turkish.  ;->

From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 24 Aug 2005 20:36:24 -0000

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
>
>> Yeah, you all take a good look at this and stop calling me "Mr. Garrels"
>> or "Dear Sir" :P
>
> Heh.
>
> English is hopeless.  French is hopeless.  German is hopeless.  We
> _could_ all switch to Turkish.  ;->

greek? Latin?

--
pour m'écrire, aller sur:
http://www.dodin.net
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 24 Aug 2005 20:50:26 -0000

Quoting folajimi ####@####.####

[Labour Day:]

> FYI, the holiday in question is usually slated for the first Monday in
> the month of September. In this case, the holiday would occur on
> September 5, 2005.

Correct -- as to observance in the USA and Canada, not to be confused
with the May 1 AKA May Day observance in Europe, the first Monday in
October observance in Australia, and the fourth Monday in October
observance in New Zealand.

If anyone else has interest in the gory details of USA holiday
observance, here's my crib sheet I use for planning my own public
calendar of local technical events, The BALE,
http://linuxmafia.com/bale/,  on which I try to include notations
of upcoming holidays and other notable events that people might want to
take into account, in their planning.

(And no, I haven't yet built into the calendar programmatic generation
of all those holiday date formulae, being not quite that good at Python.
Some day.)

Crib sheet on USA holidays is here:  http://linuxmafia.com/bale/holidays

From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 9 Oct 2005 05:20:00 -0000

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 10:31:36PM +0200, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> Pradeep Padala wrote:
>
> >Wiki advantages:
> >*) Quick updates - anybody can improve as they are reading the HOWTO and
> >   find mistakes. It also doesn't have to go through the slow/length
> >   TLDP review process.

For revisions to HOWTOs there is no TLDP review process and thus no
delays due to this.  There may be a delay if one sends comments to an
author and the author delays revising the HOWTO at LDP.  How long an
author takes to make such changes should depend on their importance
and relevance.

> >*) Easier updates - It's much easier to edit a Wiki page than an .sgml
> >   file. The learning curve with sgml tools is sttep. For begineers
> >   there's HOWTO generator [4], but later updates have to be in SGML.

Not so if the .sgml is a LinuxDoc sgml with minimal use of tags.  I
think LinuxDoc markup (with a minimal tag set) is just about as easy
as Wiki markup.

> The wiki markup is so simple I guess a one-to-one conversion either way
> with LinuxDoc might work with only abstract and indexing tags as the
> exceptions.

You have no idea just how many LinuxDoc tags there actually are.  Most
of them are never used.  For example, there are many mathematical tags.
There are even tag pairs like <titlepag> that are implicitly created
if you don't put the tag in your doc (almost no one does).

> Re-editing with the Generator would require a little extra work on
> my part to make possible. I asked some time ago if there was any
> interest in that but never got any replies.
>
> >*) Easier management - Once setup it can work on its own depending on
> >   the readers interest.
>
> This part is important since we have few resources.
>
> >Wiki disadvantages
> >*) Connecting Wiki with docbook as a backend is difficult. If this is
> >   not possible, we have to find a better way to convert to print
> >   formats etc.
Convert to LinuxDoc (using a small subset of LinuxDoc tags).  It
wouldn't be too difficult.
> >*) Vandalism problems - Do we simply throw the HOWTO on a Wiki and hope
> >   that it turns into a master piece? or let the author tightly control
> >   the content by allowing only comments?

But if there is no author maintaining it?  Then the vandalism remains.