discuss: Thread: TLDP in Linux distros

[<<] [<] Page 2 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [discuss] TLDP in Linux distros
From: Stuart Ellis ####@####.####
Date: 15 Sep 2005 19:08:40 -0000

> >>Has anyone looked into autopackage?
> >>

> >It may not be viable at the moment, as it's not compatible with
> >distribution package tools.
> >
> It doesnt matter much for docs unlike say libraries. All we need is a
> method to copy over a tarball and setup a .desktop file probably for
> easy access to content.

It's more that the client-side bits may not be there to support
autopackage files.

> Autopackage is expected to get RPM and later on
> DEB support. I dont particularly care about it but its a choice for the
> LDP docs

Checkinstall has been around for a while for producing deb/RPM/Slackware
packages:

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

I've used it to make RPMs from simple source compiles, and it worked OK
- I haven't tried the options to produce packages for multiple formats.

From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 15 Sep 2005 19:45:32 -0000

Stuart Ellis wrote:

>>>It may not be viable at the moment, as it's not compatible with
>>>distribution package tools.
>>>

>>It doesnt matter much for docs unlike say libraries. All we need is a
>>method to copy over a tarball and setup a .desktop file probably for
>>easy access to content.
>>

>It's more that the client-side bits may not be there to support
>autopackage files.

The .package files are shell scripts that download the support code as
payload on demand. On subsequent runs you will get a GUI on top by default

>>Autopackage is expected to get RPM and later on
>>DEB support. I dont particularly care about it but its a choice for the
>>LDP docs
>>

>Checkinstall has been around for a while for producing deb/RPM/Slackware
>packages:
>
>http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
>
>I've used it to make RPMs from simple source compiles, and it worked OK
>- I haven't tried the options to produce packages for multiple formats.

Yeah someone needs to look into that and other options

regards
Rahul
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2005 07:29:11 -0000

From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2005 08:27:13 -0000

Machtelt Garrels wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>>I've used it to make RPMs from simple source compiles, and it worked OK
>>>- I haven't tried the options to produce packages for multiple formats.
>>>

>>Yeah someone needs to look into that and other options
>>

>Why not contact the responsibles for each distro that does not ship our
>docs and find out from them directly what package format they want,
>instead of spending time trying to guess?

Distributions would of course prefer their native packaging formats
which is available from
http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=packagemanagement. What am I
pointing is the potential ability of LDP to provide autopackages or
checkinstalled packages for distribution on tldp.org instead of tarballs
and online links and increase the effectiveness of the integration
rather than pursuing distributions to get the content into their
repositories

>And we need to continue to build the list of distros that should be
>contacted.  So far we have only this info:
>
>shipping TLDP			| Not shipping TLDP
>- --------------------------------|------------------
>Debian				| Fedora
>SuSE 10				| RedHat

Distributions might not ship all of the documents.

>According to distrowatch.com, the top-10 Linux distributions of the moment
>are Ubuntu, Mandriva, SuSE, Fedora, MEPIS, KNOPPIX, Debian, Damn Small,
>Gentoo and Slackware.  I think we need at least to contact these.

Distrowatch list is based on the number of people who visit the
distribution webpage. While it shows a interest level it is not
necessary a good estimate of the user base. Not a bad thing per see but
its good to be aware of this before contacting the above list

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=faq

regards
Rahul
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2005 08:45:38 -0000

From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2005 11:30:54 -0000

According to LWN, Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier of Distrowatch
has now "gotten a real job". He will therefore not write
more freelance articles for LWN, I am not sure what impact
this will have on Distrowatch itself.

Machtelt Garrels wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
>

>>UBUNTU contains the following:-
>>

> Thanks for reporting on this.
>

>>I  am not  sure that  Knoppix  and Damn  Small Linux  will accept  our
>>suggestion, since Knoppix is intended as  a live cd, while DSL, as the
>>name suggests, is small.
>>

> OK, that is reasonable.  The next two on the list are Kubuntu and FreeBSD
> ;-)  But FreeBSD does not count, I guess, because it uses another kernel.
> So next in the list is SLAX.
>
> Our updated list looks like this:
>
> shipping TLDP     	| Not shipping TLDP 	| Unknown
> - -------------------------------------------------------------
> Debian 		  	| Fedora		| Mandriva
> SuSE 10           	| RedHat		| MEPIS
> Ubuntu			|  			| Gentoo
> 			| 			| Slackware
> 			|			| Kubuntu
> 			|			| SLAX
>

> Regarding Rahul's remark about interest levels, do we miss any major
> distro in this list?

LWN has a distribution list, currently listing 462 entries.
Not all are exactly prime targets for TLDP but we might also
consider the "Also well-known" list:
  - ASPLinux
  - MEPIS Linux
  - Rock Linux
  - Sun Java Desktop System
  - Turbolinux

The category "Non-technical desktop" is probably used by
those most in need of good documentation and also willing
to learn. The list is full of, well, unusual names like
"EvilEntity Linux" and "GoodGoat Linux". Nevertheless we
should have a look at some of these like
  - Linspire
  - Lycorix Desktop/LX
  - Xandros Linux

The full list is at
	http://lwn/Distributions/

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

From: Jim Hamilton ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2005 13:48:03 -0000

Slackware does contain the HOWTO collection.

A full install will place them at /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs/

Jim

From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 28 Sep 2005 08:10:12 -0000

Hello All,

This thread has died quietly, but I wanted to resume.  All in all it seems
that we are not doing so bad.  How is the Fedora thing going on?

Tille.

- --
Machtelt Garrels                ####@####.####
Review Coordinator    	 	http://www.tldp.org/authors/