discuss: Thread: Linux Chinese HOWTO v2.0

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Linux Chinese HOWTO v2.0
From: Kuo-Chieh Ting ####@####.####
Date: 29 Nov 2004 06:33:56 -0000

Hi!

	The last Chinese HOWTO(v1.04) was published around '98.  I have
contacted the previous authors C. W. Huang(黃志偉) and cdchen (陳永昇) and
have known that they will no longer maintain it and hand over the
maintainess to me.  Since lots of new things changed since late '90, I
completely rewrite the whole content in XML docbook format and make it to
a new version number 2.0.  I have finished around 50% and now it's over
80 pages in big5 Chinese encoding PDF now. I expected I will finish it
around the summer of 2005 and make the English translation so more
developers will know how to handle the issue of i18n regarding Chinese
language environment

	One cool thing worthy to mention is:  We used to have a
problem to convert a docbook in Chinese into unembeded PDF under linux
environment for years.  Thanks to several people in the camp of
opensource, now we can make it, although there is still few minor glitches
to overcome (Chinese character in the bookmark, link,..)

I am also pushing reviving the Chinese counter part of LDP: CLDP to
organize all Chinese translation of LDP.  Indeed, there already was a new
Chinese translation of KernelAnalysis-HOWTO in pure text format (big5
encoding) last month.  However, nowadays no one seems know how to make
the proper management of the Chinese translation of LDP compatible
to the one in LDP.  It is likely to be me to ask first and tell others
to follow the implementation.  So just let you guys know there is
some new bloods like to share the LDP in more diverse language.
I am not quite sure some thing like:  Will anyone in LDP capable in
reading Chinese in the Chinese HOWTO for the peer reviewing part?  Should
anyone writing LDP in Chinese also need to join i18n discussion groups?
Wish someone can share some ideas.

Regards

Kuo-Chieh Ting
Subject: Re: Linux Chinese HOWTO v2.0
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 17 Oct 2005 06:35:50 -0000

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 12:33:55AM -0600, Kuo-Chieh Ting wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 	The last Chinese HOWTO(v1.04) was published around '98.  I have
> contacted the previous authors C. W. Huang(??????) and cdchen (?????@) and
> have known that they will no longer maintain it and hand over the
> maintainess to me.  Since lots of new things changed since late '90, I
> completely rewrite the whole content in XML docbook format and make it to
> a new version number 2.0.  I have finished around 50% and now it's over
> 80 pages in big5 Chinese encoding PDF now. I expected I will finish it
> around the summer of 2005 and make the English translation so more
> developers will know how to handle the issue of i18n regarding Chinese
> language environment

Looks like no one replied to this so I'm giving it a try although I'm
ignorant of the Chinese language.  It's nice to know that this is
being worked on and that you are using big5 instead of unicode (more
efficient use of bytes I guess).  But what about gb?  I guess that
once you have it in big5 there are converters to gb (simplified) for
mainland china instead of big5 (traditional) used on Taiwan, etc.

> 	One cool thing worthy to mention is:  We used to have a
> problem to convert a docbook in Chinese into unembeded PDF under linux
> environment for years.  Thanks to several people in the camp of
> opensource, now we can make it, although there is still few minor glitches
> to overcome (Chinese character in the bookmark, link,..)
>
> I am also pushing reviving the Chinese counter part of LDP: CLDP to
> organize all Chinese translation of LDP.  Indeed, there already was a new
> Chinese translation of KernelAnalysis-HOWTO in pure text format (big5
> encoding) last month.

Just one format is a lot better than not to have it at all.  It
accessible on the Internet by appending .txt to the name.  Perhaps LDP
should accept plain-text docs and not make much effort to convert
them.

> However, nowadays no one seems know how to make the proper
> management of the Chinese translation of LDP compatible to the one
> in LDP.  It is likely to be me to ask first and tell others to
> follow the implementation.  So just let you guys know there is some
> new bloods like to share the LDP in more diverse language.  I am not
> quite sure some thing like:  Will anyone in LDP capable in reading
> Chinese in the Chinese HOWTO for the peer reviewing part?
Probably not.

> Should anyone writing LDP in Chinese also need to join i18n
> discussion groups?

Not too important since there will be likely be more discussion of
alphabetic languages not applicable to ideographic languages like
Chinese.