discuss: Thread: TARPL news 2005 week 21

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: TARPL news 2005 week 21
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 28 May 2005 13:13:56 -0000

Hello,

This weeks news is further improvement on the web correlator, see
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/tarpl.html

Note that the sample report is 500KB in size and is bigger than what
fits on a 1200 x 1600 screen. It might fit on an A3 paper sheet.
Processing 3000 hits takes 5 minutes on a low end machine so while
it should be ready to crunch the hit log for TLDP web pages it would
take a lot of time.

Are these logs available?

The new HOWTO Generator is also being worked on.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

Subject: Re: TARPL news 2005 week 21
From: Tony Dodd ####@####.####
Date: 28 May 2005 13:34:53 -0000

Stein Gjoen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This weeks news is further improvement on the web correlator, see
>     http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/tarpl.html
>
> Note that the sample report is 500KB in size and is bigger than what
> fits on a 1200 x 1600 screen. It might fit on an A3 paper sheet.
> Processing 3000 hits takes 5 minutes on a low end machine so while
> it should be ready to crunch the hit log for TLDP web pages it would
> take a lot of time.
>
> Are these logs available?
>
> The new HOWTO Generator is also being worked on.
>
> Regards,
>    Stein Gjoen
>

> ______________________
> http://lists.tldp.org/
>

> .

I can provide a medium spec server to dedicate to this if that helps.

Regards,
Tony Dodd
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jun 2005 12:23:39 -0000

Tony Dodd wrote:

> Stein Gjoen wrote:

>>This weeks news is further improvement on the web correlator, see
>>    http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/tarpl.html
>>
>>Note that the sample report is 500KB in size and is bigger than what
>>fits on a 1200 x 1600 screen. It might fit on an A3 paper sheet.
>>Processing 3000 hits takes 5 minutes on a low end machine so while
>>it should be ready to crunch the hit log for TLDP web pages it would
>>take a lot of time.

> I can provide a medium spec server to dedicate to this if that helps.

This could be very useful since longs from TLDP will be huge.
Someone was looking into these logs but I have still not heard
a word on what is happening about that.

I don't know the internals of AWK but with these huge tables it
is quite possible the analysis will require a fair bit of RAM.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

From: Tony Dodd ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jun 2005 13:39:15 -0000

Stein Gjoen wrote:

> Tony Dodd wrote:
>
>> I can provide a medium spec server to dedicate to this if that helps.
>

> This could be very useful since longs from TLDP will be huge.
> Someone was looking into these logs but I have still not heard
> a word on what is happening about that.
>
> I don't know the internals of AWK but with these huge tables it
> is quite possible the analysis will require a fair bit of RAM.
>
> Regards,
>    Stein Gjoen

> http://lists.tldp.org/

Ok, let me get it set up, then I'll get back to you with details.  We
can give it a test run, see how it copes.

Regards,
Tony Dodd