discuss: Thread: tools

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: tools
From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 27 Apr 2004 02:20:21 -0000

Hi

http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/test.php

shouldnt such tools be part of tldp.org

we occasionally see dicussions on tools, licensing and
stuff but they usually spark some responses and die
off without any changes

regards
Rahul

Subject: Re: tools
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 27 Apr 2004 02:42:31 -0000

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 03:19:54AM +0100, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/test.php
> shouldnt such tools be part of tldp.org
> we occasionally see dicussions on tools, licensing and
> stuff but they usually spark some responses and die
> off without any changes

Saqib was given permission to host, or possibly just maintain, tools.tldp.org.
I am unsure of what the arrangement is. He has moved some, but not all of his
tools over. There has been advertising on some of the tools hosted by Saqib.
Although this is absolutely acceptable on personal sites, it is not currently
accepted on The Linux Documentation Project hosted pages. There has been some
discussion on the staff list about whether or not the tools site should be left
up as is.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]
From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 27 Apr 2004 02:51:24 -0000

hi

 There has been advertising on some of
> the tools hosted by Saqib.
> Although this is absolutely acceptable on personal
> sites, it is not currently
> accepted on The Linux Documentation Project hosted
> pages. There has been some
> discussion on the staff list about whether or not
> the tools site should be left
> up as is.
>
> emma

Saqib can remove the ads in the tldp.org hosted
version  right?

I have already proposed this but I would do that again

Is there any opposition to changing the manifesto
licensing policy so that

1) Creative commons Attribution share alike license in
the recommended version. Allowed licenses include gnu
fdl with no invariants. (opencontent seems have
disappeared)

2) Setup the following guidelines for accepted
documentation licenses

* Documents should be modifiable/forkable
* Recommend that authors allow commerical
redistribution

Note that is only for future documents

regards
rahul

From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 27 Apr 2004 04:41:50 -0000

Quoting Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####

[...]

> (opencontent seems have disappeared)

Former contents are still available at
http://web.archive.org/web/20030701024452/http://www.opencontent.org/ ,
and I've amended the link from my knowledgebase's Licensing and Law
category, accordingly.

Subject: AW: tools
From: "Thomas MIGLINCI" ####@####.####
Date: 27 Apr 2004 18:47:50 -0000

Hi Rahul,

i tried your tools, but they did not work for me, when i tried:

http://www.thomas.miglinci.name/simpad/xml/simpad-howto.xml

the tools were unable to locate included files from the local directory -
instead these files were searched from /tmp/apache/....

greetings from vienna

Thomas

http://yahoo.shaadi.com/india-matrimony/

______________________
http://lists.tldp.org/

Subject: Re: AW: tools
From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 27 Apr 2004 19:57:42 -0000

Hi

Rahul,

> i tried your tools, but they did not work for me,
> when i tried:

http://www.thomas.miglinci.name/simpad/xml/simpad-howto.xml

> the tools were unable to locate included files from
> the local directory -
> instead these files were searched from
> /tmp/apache/....

Its not my tool and I have no idea about it. The
author  who is on the list might be able to help you
more regarding this

regards
Rahul

From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 2 May 2004 06:14:44 -0000

> the tools were unable to locate included files from
> the local directory -
> instead these files were searched from
> /tmp/apache/....

Hello Thomas,

The validator currently can not handle external
entities (i.e. files that are referencing external
entities). I am working on to find a good/fast way of
this. there are several options. hopefully I will be
able to get it done soon.

However, the XML to HTML transformer @
http://validate.sf.net can handle external entities.

In Peace,