discuss: Thread: Enterprise Java For Linux HOWTO volunteer

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Enterprise Java For Linux HOWTO volunteer
From: "Chase" ####@####.####
Date: 4 May 2004 21:31:43 -0000

Greetings everyone,

I've just started reading the LDP Author Guide so bear with me a second
here....

I'm going to start working on an Enterprise Java for Linux Guide and I
noticed that there is one at tldp.org but it's really out of date. I like
to become the owner of this doc. I know that the Author Guide says to
contact the current author but after browsing through the mailing list
archive I don't think there is one.

At the bottom of this message I've copied parts of the messages archived
from this list that seem to indicate there is no author(s) anymore. It's a
little hard to be sure because the archive only seems to allow searching
by relevance and not date.

Besides doing Java development on Linux I'm also a Sun certified Master
Java Instructor that teaches Sun's Java training courses all the way up to
the J2EE architecting stuff.

So the question is what exactly do I need to do now in order to be listed
as the new maintainer while working on this document?

Thanks,

-Chase

At http://www.tldp.org/authors/unmaint.html a new owner of Mylene Reiners
is listed but in this message
http://lists.tldp.org/index.cgi?1:mss:6170:200312:kgajgpblcpcjagoifhpm Jon
Fox says:

<quote>
I'm interested in taking on maintenance of the EJ for Linux HOWTO:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Enterprise-Java-for-Linux-HOWTO.html

As you can see, it's pretty out-of-date.
I've mailed the former 3 maintainers, including the one shown as
current maintainer on the HOWTO itself, Mylene Reiners.

Mylene says that she handed ownership on to someone else some
time back, but is not sure who the current maintainer is now.
The other two, previous authors encouraged me to go ahead, and
one even offered to help.
</quote>

Then in another message he says:
http://lists.tldp.org/index.cgi?1:mss:6926:200404:kagbjeddmafnfcjeehfj

<quote>
I was gathering info and testing latest versions of various Free/OSS
J2EE products on various Linux distros, in preparation for a re-write of
the Enterprise Java HOWTO which is currently unmaintained:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Enterprise-Java-for-Linux-HOWTO.html

At the same time, Luigi Bitonti ####@####.#### is currently
working on a HOWTO about tomcat, mod_jk and mod_jk2 configuration, so we
discussed combining efforts into a single J2EE HOWTO.

However I won't now be proceeding with the J2EE HOWTO, because Sun has
just announced that they will not be opening up the Java language after all
</qoute>

Subject: Re: Enterprise Java For Linux HOWTO volunteer
From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 5 May 2004 00:56:06 -0000

Hi

> So the question is what exactly do I need to do now
> in order to be listed
> as the new maintainer while working on this
> document?

1) check the license if it allows modifications
2) if so improve on it or present a new document
written from scratch for discussion
3) incorporate any improvements suggested by others
4) a language and technical review would be done and
ldp would accept the new document

regards
Rahul

From: "Chase" ####@####.####
Date: 5 May 2004 19:32:13 -0000

>> So the question is what exactly do I need to do now
>> in order to be listed
>> as the new maintainer while working on this
>> document?
>
> 1) check the license if it allows modifications

It's a GPL'ed so I could but...

> 2) if so improve on it or present a new document
> written from scratch for discussion

It's so out of date and half of it never got beyond "to be done it the
future" type statements that a complete rewrite is going to be the only
possible option.

> 3) incorporate any improvements suggested by others

So who can update http://www.tldp.org/authors/unmaint.html and list me as
the new maintainer so that there is a valid central point of contact for
new work being done on this document?

-Chase

From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 5 May 2004 22:11:58 -0000

Hi

> So who can update
> http://www.tldp.org/authors/unmaint.html and list me
> as
> the new maintainer so that there is a valid central
> point of contact for
> new work being done on this document?
>
> -Chase

This dicussion is good enough but if you are looking
for specific info. here is a link

http://tldp.org/vlist.html

regards
Rahul

regards
Rahul

From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 6 May 2004 16:08:37 -0000

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 02:19:28PM -0500, Chase wrote:
> So who can update http://www.tldp.org/authors/unmaint.html and list me as
> the new maintainer so that there is a valid central point of contact for
> new work being done on this document?

The document has been moved from the "Unmaintained" list to the "In
Progress" list. As a reminder: to stay on the "In Progress" list you need
to send either myself, or the discuss list monthly updates on your
progress. I'll email you if I haven't heard from you to see how things are
going.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin