discuss: Thread: [please stop!]

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: [please stop!]
From: Sergiusz Pawlowicz ####@####.####
Date: 22 May 2004 07:32:27 -0000

please stop  the discuss  about religion  here. this  is the
list about documenting software and hardware.

please treat my words seriously, or you will be removed.

sergiusz, TLDP listmaster
--
private: http://ibiblio.org/ser/ | company: http://a-k-f.com
jabber:  ####@####.####          | mobile:  +48  502  660860
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 22 May 2004 08:46:54 -0000

At 01:32 5/22/2004, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
>please stop  the discuss  about religion  here. this  is the
>list about documenting software and hardware.
>
>please treat my words seriously, or you will be removed.

Sergiuzs,

First:

Perhaps you could be a little more specific? It's hard to say whether
you're demanding that *all* discussion about Teus's proposed document cease
forthwith, or that only discussions specifically about the beliefs of any
person or group be discontinued. Also, it's impossible to understand, given
the English-language use of "you" for both plural and singular, whether you
are directing this message at any particular person or to everyone who has
participated in this discussion. Any clarification will make it easier to
follow the listmaster's instructions.

Second:

That being said, I would also like to suggest that this threat of immediate
and summary removal from the list is a very, very heavy-handed approach to
controlling the discussion. I'm very saddened to see you taking this
approach, since it's the first time in my 10 years of Linux use that I've
seen an open and (largely) productive discussion on a valid subject get
slammed shut like that. Note that the "valid subject" I refer to is whether
or not to include Teus's HOWTO, not any discussion about religion per se.

I haven't been around here for very long, but the mailing lists page [1]
says that people should join these mailing lists "in order to be involved
and stay informed about the work being done by the LDP." That includes
objectives, principles, and philosophy, right? That page also says this
list (discuss) is a "general discussion list." And lastly, I have seen
several long and involved discussions around here that were philosophical
in nature and involved questions of principle, of scope, and specific
discussion about whether LDP did or did not wish to include certain
documents based on their content and nature. Al Dev comes to mind as one,
Encouraging Women in Linux is another.

Those issues *really* got tense and difficult, whereas this one, apart from
one crack Doug Jensen took at me a couple of hours ago, seems to me to have
been very civilized so far. And I may have somehow pissed him off by
mistake, so let's write that one off too. But we hashed them out and got
through it, and I certainly learned a lot and grew to respect several
subscribers to this list a great deal. Why is this inappropriate, but those
were OK? And why is this suddenly the list "about documenting software and
hardware" when it has previously been very open to *any* general topic of
interest to LDP?

Do as you will. But I will personally be shocked and disappointed if your
message is Company Policy, so to speak. Not at all the image I have of this
group, this project, and this philosophy.

[1] http://www.tldp.org/mailinfo.html#maillists

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz