discuss: Thread: GCC HOWTO

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: GCC HOWTO
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 16 Apr 2004 06:12:54 -0000

Subject: Re: GCC HOWTO
From: "David Horton" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Apr 2004 21:59:02 -0000

On the plus side, the HOWTO covers the topics of installation and basic use of GCC in a very straight-forward manner whereas the GCC Manual is very deep and verbose.  The HOWTO also briefly covers installation of libraries which is nice.  If I just wanted to get GCC installed and working I would probably have an easier time with the HOWTO.

On the down side, the HOWTO is very out of date.  Most of the information in the "Where to get things" section is so old that it is unusable.

Dave

From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 4 May 2004 21:21:30 -0000

Hello Daniel,

We recently received a notice that the GCC HOWTO is out of date. Your own
web site, www.telent.net, contains the following warning:
	"Once upon a time I contributed actively to it (mostly documentation;
	you might even still find copies of the ELF- and GCC-HOWTOs around, but
	I encourage you to disregard them unless someone has since done a
	fairly massive cleanup job) but these days I tend mostly just to use
	it."

Would you agree that the GCC HOWTO should be at least put into the
unmaintained section of our website? Or perhaps removed completely? It is
currently hosted at: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/GCC-HOWTO/index.html
If your document is removed from the collection, can you suggest any other
documents as replacement?

thank you,
emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
Review Coordinator, The Linux Documentation Project